SCROLL
Watched a very engaging movie this morning:
The Best Exotic
Marigold Hotel
Quite charming, actually. Typical British humor,
tho, so you have to pay attention because you don't get any overt clues
to a laugh line, and you'll miss some good ones if you're distracted.
Much of the best humor comes through sarcasm, as it often does,
but considering the stage and film experience of the cast, that sort of
clipped, sophisticated snark fits perfectly. Maggie Smith is, of
course, a past master at that sort of thing and demonstrates the best
metamorphosis of the lot, all of whom undergo transformations of some
sort. The kid who plays the manager is perfect.
Dozens of standard cliches and stereotypes are dealt
with very matter-of-factly and almost slip by unnoticed. And
since I watched it on my iMac with the big screen, the realism was
in-my-face stark. Stark snark.
I'm sure this type of bildungsroman for the aged has
been done before, and they're all bittersweet and tender, I imagine.
This one strides boldly up and just gob-smacks self-pity and
maudlin sentiment and all that stuff right in the kisser.
If you can download it or borrow it on disc, give it a
look when you have some time and some soft snacks. Not crunchy
stuff, tho, 'cause it'll cause you to miss some of those classic lines
and you'd have to go back and watch it again to pick up on 'em.
Don't think I'd want to watch it again until it's grown dim in my
memory. [Metzger]
The Daily Motion stream didn't work. NetFlix has it.
ReplyDeleteMy wife and I enjoyed it very much.
ReplyDeleteA movie that works on characters and not special effects is refreshing, a nice switch from the usual superwomen, stupid men, CG and flaming cars spewing out of Hollywood.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick
How queer...err...odd.
ReplyDeleteI found the film to be a two-hour-long, tedious, not-so-subtle homosexuality-promoting ad.
I also liked ...Marigold.... Try Memorial Day for another good 'un.
ReplyDeletejd
Well neither NetFlix or Amazon stream it, so it's all moot for me.
ReplyDeleteOf course I'd watch Dame Judy Dench and Celia Imre do ANYTHING.
ReplyDeleteCouple of interesting ladies MY age.
MC
It was a good movie. The homosexual thing kept it from being something I'd recommend to my friends. Why do they have to do that?
ReplyDelete