Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gadgetry

GPS and Bread Crumbs

Boned Jello

I bought MoSup that Garmin GPS I talked about the other day,  for her birthday. Garmin 265WT.  Actually, it was you guys who bought it for her, since I used my Pay Pal money.  She thanked me for you.

We're  prolly the last people here to get one, and I'm blown away.  It did take several hours to get the initial satellite fix (too may trees here),  get  updated maps installed, etc.  Then I input addresses of peeps she goes to see, shopping, etc.  The upshot is that I'm something of an expert now; she can't turn it on.  MoSup's also worried that someone will steal it, which is a real problem.  A friend had his factory installed GPS ripped from his dashboard.  This is what I can't figure out.  The thing has a serial number. The thing accesses satellites.  Why can't I report it stolen, and Garmin tracks it's whereabouts?  First time used, the cops have a pin-point location.   Why not?



Boned Jello
The other exciting thing for me was, and I'm pretty embarrassed to tell you, what with me being a Kordon Blue trained chef, but it's Panko! Japanese bread crumbs.  HFS!  Never used Panko before for three reasons.
  1. Iwo Jima
  2. I make my own bread crumbs
  3. Never saw them in a grocery store until recently.
Last night I used Panko to bread some (I think I'm getting Alzheimer's ... the flat fish.  Flounder!) Flounder, and WOW.  I want to "Panko" everything now.  I'm going to try fried peanut butter.  Dip some flattened, chilled PB in flour, egg wash, then Panko,  and fry.  I'll let you know.  Panko cannot be beat for crunch.



Back to the GPS.  While I was playing with it, another thought struck me.  Garmin had better get into the cell phone business, or go bust.  This thing looks like an iPhone, and I'm told iPhones  have the GPS built in already, right?  Damn, if I'd waited another 6 months, I prolly buy this Garmin for $12.95 from Woot.  One other thing.  I forgot. Never mind.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

GPS only *receives* from satellites, it doesn't transmit anything at all.

Anonymous said...

Garmin isn't likely to find itself in trouble any time soon. They're the ones who make military-grade GPSs (which NO cell phone GPS is even close to being good enough for); what you bought is a civvie version of that.

They also build a lot of equipment for the nautical industry -- things like fish sonars, nautical-grade GPSs (which, again, cell phone GPSs are not), and other nautical navigation equipment and fishing tools.

(They're also NOT part of the big brother network like OnStar -- they won't discover you were driving two miles per hour over the limit and send an alert to your local police force, in other words)

leelu said...

The GPS is an app you buy for the iPhone (I'm not sure which one my daughter has - it got us home after getting turned around at night at BWI).

I assumed that it triangulated location from the cell towers. I have no idea if it would work in "the wilderness".

But what do I know...?

Anonymous said...

The Droid's GPS Navigation comes free with the phone, has turn-by-turn voice and the other perks of GPS. Pricey phone/plan but it saved me from buying a stand-alone GPS.
skegatz

Anonymous said...

It's not alzheimers when you can't remember a fish name. It's alzheimers when you can't remember what a fish does.


Stick

clem said...

Garmin already does make a cell phone-- it's called the nüvifone.

Trust me, that company knows what it's doing-- could be the next Apple.

Anonymous said...

I loved my Garmin GPS-Depth-finder on my hewescraft boat. Easy to use lots of function BUT you could use it at a very basic level. I also have a little Garmin Etrex for hunting & hiking very reliable and easy to use.
For the trip from AK to AZ I picked up a Tom Tom. It Worked great once we go into Alberta. Before that, it would instruct us incorrectly: "Turn right, 200 yards ahead" would have sent us off a 300 foot cliff into a raging glacial river... Trust but verify.
RAK

Anonymous said...

Garmin and panko. So you're sayn'... you typed in Panko to yer Garmin and got a fish recipe? Mine, never, did that!
Juice

Anonymous said...

You need a link to your recepies at the top. Something like 'King's Cooking' or 'Regal Rodger's Recepies'. My citrus is almost ripe and I have to hunt for the peel candy one.
Tim

Anonymous said...

And Juice's stuffed jalopinos.
Tim

Wabano said...

Garmin does make GPS that talk back to satellites..i.e.: the Astro 220
http://getoutdoorselectronics.c3x.ca/product_info.php?products_id=439

Put a transmitter on your dogs' necks
and follow their tracks on your portable's screen!!!
Never lose a dog again!!!

However, you pay for the name, for flying I use the AVMAP EKP IV, 7" screen($1,000)
the garmin equivalent cost $5,000

For the car, the 4.5" Harman Kardon 500 ALSO have a mp3 reader
for one fifth of the price of the garmin sans mp3.($150)

Wabano said...

My bad, the 220 does NOT talk to satellite but is a line of sight transmitter reader (Direction
and distance finder)
coupled to a gpsmap portable...
So beware in hilly country, stay closer to the dogs, up to five of them! Still an accomplishment!

However, before the internet,
I remember having a dish for acommodity price receiver that WAS talking back to the satellite.
(How to make a small fortune with a big one!)

Anonymous said...

I happen to know a Garmin engineer who tells me to never buy the in-dash GPS, because the technology in them always lags the portable units. They design these for car manufacturers at the same time the car is designed, and because of the lag time between when they do their design work and when the car actually comes to market, the built-in technology is always a few years behind the technology available in the portable ones.

H

B....... said...

Panko is good Rodge - now try the king of breading: Pork Rinds.

You can use a food processor to grind the pork rinds into the consistency of bread crumbs - I just use a rubber mallet to pound them while in their bag (I have anger issues). Let the air out of the bag first. Now smear skinless chicken breasts with plenty of Grey Poupon (let them sit over night if you can plan ahead) and coat with the pork rind crumbs. Place on rack in baking pan and bake at 350 for one hour. Now tell me pork rind breading isn't king.........

Anonymous said...

The iPhone uses A-GPS or assisted GPS.

It has a GPS receiver.

It does a tower triangulation to give the rough location and then uses the GPS satellites to give the more precise location. (makes it finding your location really fast)

If the phone can't see the wireless network it won't turn on the GPS receiver.

The maps are not stored on the iPhone, so you have to have a network connection to get the maps as you drive/walk/fly.

This is true for the turn-by-turn app called AT&T navigator as well as Google Maps.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Breaded with pork rinds! OMG, I'm suddenly famished. Thank you Internet!

Anonymous said...

B..... Capital idea!! Going to try that one. Pork rinds on the chicken while in the 'fridge? or added after?
Juice

B....... said...

Add pork rind breading just before baking. The rinds smell a bit funky after they are ground up, but don't let that concern you. They will be wonderful baked on the chicken. Very moist. Marinating the chicken in the Grey Poupon does add flavor, but is not absolutely necessary. I have also done this with pork chops (loin)......

Anonymous said...

B... that makes sense. Thanks for the tip.
Juice

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.