Tuesday, October 26, 2010

2 good movies

TWO UNFORGETABLE FILMS

Boned Jello

It would be unfair to say that foreign films are superior to American, because what we get here are the award winners.  Still, if you're going to spend the time to find good movies, you can scarcely go wrong with the foreign (subtitled) movies offered on NetFlix.  When I said "unforgettable," I meant that without hyperbole.  A Woman in Berlin is much more than the story of a photojournalist's relationship with a Soviet officer; it's two hours spent in the Hell that was Berlin in the final weeks of the Third Reich.   Monsieur Hire is a masterfully told crime story. Despite the above description, there is nary a nipple to be seen, but it is nevertheless sexually charged, and most importantly has a thrilling ending.

Aside:  I notice that Europa-Europa is available on  Instant Watch.  I think it's one of the best movies ever made.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rodge:

I had listed "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" to my Netflix Queue, based on your recommendation. Just went back and looked...it has been removed. Netflix still lists the movie, but doesn't give you the option to order it... not for your queue, not for your instant watch.


Damn!

Cuzzin Rick

Helly said...

You lost me at "nary a nipple." It's the 21st century and filmmakers still don't get this?!?

I watched The Thomas Crown Affair again the other night. The new one with All American Breasted, hot-as-the-sun, 40ish René Rousseau and whasisface. Still a fantastic movie after all these years, but with the added comedic element of an antique cell phone.

Tell me your euro picks measure up to that. I can be open-minded.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I preferred the McQueen-Dunaway version, but if that was a 4, these 5-6.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.