Monday, November 01, 2010

3 1/2 hours shot to hell

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

I watched every bit of this film. Because I was certain that a spectacular pay-off awaited those who subjected themselves to the full, mind-numbingly boring three-hour-twenty-one minutes it took.

Oye.

Jeanne Dielman is an anally retentive widow who prostitutes herself once a day to pay for her, and her college-aged son's subsistence,  We watch her making dinner.  Actually.  Buying potatoes. Peeling potatoes. Stirring the potatoes. Serving the potatoes.  Eating the potatoes.  Before I watched it, I read somewhere that this is the 19th best film ever made. But not for everyone; only truly erudite, sensitive movie goers. That sounded like me, to me.

We never see Jeanne during one of her assignations, which after all is why I bothered to begin with.  She goes into her room with the gentleman caller, and is next seen leaving, handing the client his hat,coat, muffler and umbrella, and receiving one crisp 100 note which she deposits into a terrine.  Then she scrubs her body,  and  scrubs the tub just as vigorously.  It's seems that she's trying to wash away the defilement.  Then she finishes making dinner. I think we get to see three of these cycles. Until the last guy.  Here, she lays on her bed with him on her, seemingly motionless, but bringing her to orgasm which you sense is an epiphany; one that very much upsets her. She stabs him in the heart with a scissors and gets gets dressed. Movie ends.

 I couldn't figure out what the hell this was.  But now, here's what I think.  This artsy-fartsy movie was made by, and for feminists who were at the time (1975) just discovering how useless men are.  They put their thing in you, a joyless task for women,  for which the woman is rewarded with a life of endless, unfulfilled tedium. All this so he'll give you money for groceries -- to feed him.   And here comes this guy who gives her an orgasm! And that threatens her commitment to the sisterhood; to  the cause. He must be excised. Take my word for it; you don't want to watch it (on NetFlix).

She's not that cute.  Her meals look bland.  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care for potatoes much anyway
MM

How is that NetFlix anyway Rog, I guess I'll be the last one? Again.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

We pay $9+ a month for which we get unlimited movies sent one at a time. Don't bother with it anymore. I stream Netfix right to the tv and watch the Instant View movies. Very happy with it. Never ever a late fee.

Anonymous said...

Let me see if I understand. Women dont like sex. All sex is rape. Ect. But the single most important thing to a feminist is abortion?
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

there ya go

Anonymous said...

The one disc at a time plan is fantastic just for the unlimited access to free streaming shows. They just released all the seasons of Monk and I'm watching the last year's season of L&O: SVU that went immediately to free. I didn't join years ago because they don't offer special editions or the second disc of extras, but I'm over that phase now.

Emerson

Juice said...

So, you're saying fast forward to the end and it's a snuff?

Anonymous said...

As usual Juice, You have distilled it to it's essence.
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I've just about had a snuff of this juice

Juice said...

@Tim @Rodgie = ;p

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.