Friday, January 18, 2013

size matters

Tails of the Gun  

size matters


Res Ipsa Loquitor

Last night, a feller asked me:
Why would you need more than seven rounds in a magazine?
(Well, it was actually “bullets in a clip,” but we’ll overlook that ignorant faux pas.)

My answer was shorter, but this would’a been the long version:
Wellp, that depends …

• Do I have additional magazines at hand? Will I have time to reload?
(It takes me 2sec to reload from a pouch, 5sec standing from a loose pocket.)
• What weapon and ammo am I using?
(Lower-power cartridges require more hits to stop an attack.)
• How good of a shot am I under pressure?
(The range ain’t “pressure.” Do I have any real-world experience?)
• What is the ambient visibility?
(Can’t hit effectively, if I can’t see clearly: darkness, smoke, light in eyes, etc.)
• What is my physioloical situation?
(Glasses off, contacts out? Sweat? Sleeping pill? Flu? Had a few drinks? Wounded?)
• What is my psychological situation? (But wait, there's more Doug...)


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been answering lately from variations on this theme:
Why do you need a Ram V8 in your truck? Wouldn't a six be better for the environment?
There are endless versions of this, and it's a fun game to play!
PvtCdr(SS) MichigammeDave

Anonymous said...

Alternative answers:

Can you provide one verifiable example of any time or place in history where nation wide "gun control" has improved public safety?

Because I can provide roughly 100 million examples for why it's a horrible idea to leave all the effective firearms solely in the hands of the government.

What part of '...shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

Armageddon Rex

Esteve said...

I was accosted by a Bubba in the local Walmart who commented on me buying 400 rounds of 7.62X39 (Would have bought more but it was all they had). Same crap "Who needs 30 rounds?" I tried to explain the difference between a preference and a right. Like talking to a fence post.

Anonymous said...

Esteve - I prefer a fence post. It doesn't even ask stupid questions and then give stupid arguments. Fence posts are pretty nice that way. And if you have lots of good fence posts, they keep jerks like Bubba out.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

DJMoore said...

I have developed a standard answer to questions like these:

“But, DJ, why do you need high magazine assault rifles with hundred bullet full-auto clips? And nuclear grenade lugs? And shoulder things that go up? The Founders, evil slave mongers that they were, never imagined such child murdering horrors! So why, DJ? Why?”

“So I can clean the shit out of the brain-pan of any liberal fascist who comes to take them.”

DougM said...

Thanks for the link, Rodge.
(What? Yeah, now my readership will balloon into the dozens!)

Ole Phat Stu said...

Jesus didn't have - or need - a gun.

I-RIGHT-I said...

Jesus had armed guards.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Doug I'm pretty sure that you have way plenty of satisfied customes at Sondrak's (maybe the best group blog ever for surgical emasculation of the deserving).

Anonymous said...

Doug, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Stu, if I could walk on water, I wouldn't need a gun either.

Casca

BobG said...

You might as well ask:
Why does any guy need more than six inches?

Anonymous said...

It really is coming down to that, iddn't it? A "National Discussion" wherein Other People decide what You Need.

in self-defense, in medicine, in food, in automotive transportation [or none at all] . . .

e~C

Yankee Bruce said...

" Jesus didn't have - or need - a gun. "

And look at what the government did to Him.

- Yankee Bruce

KeesKennis said...

Stu Savory is drunk again and trolling. He (Old Phat Stu) would not know Jesus from a kick in the gonads.

Anonymous said...

"Need?" There is no need! Only have or have not. - 1911Man channeling Yoda.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.