Sunday, September 01, 2013

Risotto

                   
                    

 
Where I Make Risotto

I have never eaten Risotto.  Alton Brown (whose recipe I used (without the asparagus or mushrooms) isn't the only chef who treats this rice dish  like it's the quintessential mark of a decent chef.  In almost every episode of Gordon Ramsey (Is Everything on Kitchen Nightmares Totally Fake?) it seems that Gordon gags over the "worse fkng risotto I've ever had."  Or his risotto will be part of the "new launch menu." 

I know it's supposed to be creamy, but I'm not the rice eater in the family, Mo Sup is.  Her favorite is rice mush (rice properly cooked in chicken broth with onions and celery). 

 
This is how my stove looked.  I'm only showing you the neat part.  That's the leftover risotto   MoSup liked it.  A lot.  But not as much as rice mush.  So, this labor intensive dish is off my list, although I must say it was pretty damned good.. Creamy, but not mushy.

I wound up using 8 cups of chicken broth, and 1½ cups of wine— the recipe called for 6 cups and 1 cup—with the two cups of arboreal rice.  Don't know why it took so much liquid, but it was ready in the promised 40 minutes,







This is a steel mesh glove.  I bought a pair of them after the second time I damned near sliced a finger off using the mandolin








I also have the push device to run stuff through the slicer.











But I'm evidently too stupid to put them on.  

Heres Alton.



6 comments:

Skoonj said...

I love Phil Risotto. And my wife makes a great rice porridge, with ginger and either chicken or seafood, shrimp, etc.

iri said...

I had to give up using razor sharp edges during food prep. Huh? It was either that or the beer. A hammer works just a good.

Jess said...

That sure looks like a way to screw up good rice.

Rice should be served with beans, or buttered and covered with a few eggs over easy.

Mike C said...

Mandolins are truly of the devil! They lie there all innocent looking. Then you take a potato, run it over the blade. "Cool!" A paper thin slice of potato. Then you do it again, and again. In no time you have a pile of paper thin potato slices with no effort. But do you stop or use the pusher? Noooo - it's too cool. The kitchen nerd in you thinks "look at me, slicing & dicing at warp speed! What a wonderful kitchen appliance!" Then you notice a bit of red on that last slice - and look at your fingertips... Oh the humanity! You just sacrificed your index fingertip to the evil god of kitchen appliances! Damn you evil mandolin!

Yeah - been there, done that, had to submit a new fingerprint card to the FBI...

Juice said...

Sorry about your thumb, ouch! Did similar with a kitchen knife on my thumb in June when Audrey visited. Nearly took the top off and had four stitches.

Never made risotto yet. It's presented as the holy grail of rice and the most botched by mankind. Apparently it requires attention and isn't a set-it-and-forget-it recipe.

Gordon Ramsey is my #1 favorite chef to watch. He is very encouraging and patient on the Brit version of Nightmares as was he on Ramsey Behind Bars, and Master Chef. But I do love to watch his flip side on Hell's Kitchen, even though I believe the extremes are for the American outrageous telly.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Right Juice, it pretty much requires 40 minutes of constant attention. Until I try some that's been prepared by a real chef, I shan't know how good mine really was.

Here's an easy, surefire way to cook rice though. Pour two cups of water (or chicken broth) for every cup of white rice into a covered sauce pan. Bring to a boil and instantly reduce heat to the lowest setting. Set the timer for 13 minutes, and never take the lid off. Glass lid is best because you can eyeball when it's ready. Little condensation on the lid, and the rice is pockmarked with steam holes.

For Mo Sup's "Mush") I add diced celery and broccoli from the start.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.