 |
| This
was fun. When we lived in Chicago it was must watch. Not-to meant
being left out of an important part of next day's school yard
culture.
When my dad accepted a job in Baltimore, the first thing me and
sis
did after our first day of new school was tune in ABC.
Except, it
wasn't there. Bandstand; not ABC. Instead there was a doofess Buddy Dean Show (the later
inspiration for John Waters' Hair
Spray). No Bob. No Justine. We
were in genuine panic. I opened the patio door and took the
antenna
outside while Barbara switched channels. And, by God, she yelled
THERE! Channel 8 (Philadelphia)! A fuzzy Dick
Clark. I sent Barb out to
move the rabbit ears around, hoping to ... . Nope. The
fuzzy picture
faded to snow. Nothing left but the promise of what lay 50 miles North. At least we were later able to tune in the next episode of
Spin and Marty
on the Mouse Club. |
|
 |
|
It was channel 6 in Philly. WFIL the ABC affiliate. The old West Philly studios on Market St. One of my neighbors used to go down after school and we would see him dance on the TV.
ReplyDelete"It has a nice beat and you can dance to it", At school, "Other wise it kind of sucked."
ReplyDeleteDue to circumstances beyond my control, I was raised by my Maternal grandparents for three years in the 60s. The summer of '64 til the summer of '67. And every Saturday night we watched Lawrence Welk. Every Monday my friends in school discussed the latest foibles of Gilligan. I was oblivious. But to this day I do have an appreciation for the music of Johnny Mercer. And the Lennon Sisters. And Myron Floyd. Etc. And I did get to finally enjoy Gilligan's Island through the miracle of syndication.
ReplyDeleteTim
Five stars Tim
ReplyDelete