Saturday, November 29, 2008

News from the planet Xngrp!

God bless the NYT for sticking with its "holy mission"
One of us needs euthanizing

U.S. News & World Report contributing editor John Aloysius Farrell is today's example.  

This is why I love the New York Times.

Last week, as its stock dipped toward the price of a Sunday paper and the company slashed its dividend, it was reported that Arthur Gregg Sulzberger, 28, the son of the publisher, was returning to New York to go to work at the mother ship.

In my years of employment at the Boston Globe, you see, I accumulated a modest amount of Times company stock via an employee purchase program.

Now, it is true that I sometimes feel like an Enron worker, watching my shares tank and wondering if someday I'll be seeing the current Times management take a perp walk in mid-Manhattan.

But, mostly, I keep faith in the dream. That somehow, sometime, amid the millions of screamy opinions, nutty rumors, and mistruths that mar the Internet, a few stout-hearted journalistic entities, like the Times, will continue to invest in excellence, strive for truth, and so win an audience, and advertisers, and investors.

I didn't make one word of this up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I did drugs, I would want some of what he's taking.
Tim

AnnoyedOne said...

Jayson Blair was unavailable for comment.

Anonymous said...

He'll be anxiously sitting by the fireplace on Christmas Eve with milk and cookies in hand.

Anonymous said...

Priceless, evidently insanity DOESN'T skip a generation.

Casca

Anonymous said...

"I sometimes feel like an Enron worker" - is your first clue that *might* be Kool-Aid you're sippin'...

e~C

Anonymous said...

D-LOO-SHIN-NAL
MM

BlogDog said...

This guy was not on the masthead while I was at Snooze (or "USNews and Word of Mort" as I irreverently called it). But there was something worse: Krugman was the econ columnist. Wadda maroon.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.