Friday, January 02, 2009

Lullabyes

Rolling Bones Magazine
Queen
Most of you know that I'm on the cutting edge of the music scene, so this will surprise you.  New Year's morning I was sleeping, with one foot on the floor, and, as is my wont, had my XM headphones on.  At some point I woke to avoid teh spiders, and heard this melody -- for the first time ever (does that make me a bad person?). With a great deal of difficulty I opened my eyes and pushed my face to within 4 inches of the tiny XM radio display, so as to identify it.  Killer Queen.  As far as I knew, the band Queen had cut just record, We Will Rock You, in their career.  And that knowledge only because Cole Field House watchers of Maryland hoops, would chant it in closing minutes of victories over the likes of UNC Chapel Hill, and Duke.    I just now remembered it, so here it is.  It's still not my favorite song of all time, not even close.   This is.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That boy had a set of soup coolers that would make Mic Jagger smile.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Shout was so well used in Wedding Crashers
MM

Anonymous said...

Here's my favorite of the day.

olds-mo-bill

Anonymous said...

That's a great song. I have Queen's greatest hits. Everyone thinks I should have been born in the fifties to have heard my favorite music in it's prime. Is that bad? :-S

rockville said...

I know being RKOF can keep you busy, but are you telling me you missed Bohemian Rhapsody? That was Queen.

So's this, this, and this. (Great video for that last song.)

And one more, a personal favorite.

What? Freddie was gay? Whatever. They rock.

BlogDog said...

I don't think he was particularly gay as he'd have sex with whatever living being would be willing. It's usally called bisexual but with Freddie, I maintain that his reported appetites put him in the omnisexual category.
He drew a bad card one night and paid the ultimate price.

For a look at how he controlled a stadium full of people, watch the viddy of Queen live at Wembely Stadium (1986) with the intro to "Under Pressure." Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I heard he died from bad meat in the can.
ozaoB

Anonymous said...

Ah! Blog Dog! The Wembly stadium one is a classic. A buddy of mine gave me the entire DVD set of the original Live Aid. Queen was good on that too. Freddie could really command a crowd!
BTW, watching that Live Aid made me feel like an old fart! One of my favorite acts on it was George Thorough-good doing Madison Blues and Albert Collins comes out a jams with him. Good stuff....

Anonymous said...

I have been particularly enamored with this old cuss lately.
GrinfilledCelt

pdwalker said...

Ah Freddy,

You are missed.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.