Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Snort

The Long Road ...
Mike sent me a newer version of this "Xerox-lore version in circulation, inscribed "1/85 found in Jim's German book" [Snopes] Whatever, it's a beauty.
Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule,
For this great nation under God
Finds public mention of him odd,
Any prayer a class recites
Now violates the bill of rights;
Any time my head I bow
Becomes a federal matter now.
Teach us of stars, of pole and equator
But make no mention of their creator;
Tell us of exports in Denmark and Sweden
But not a word of what Eve did in Eden
The law is specific, the law is precise
Praying out loud is no longer nice;
Praying aloud in a public hall
Upsets believers in nothing at all.
In silence alone can we meditate
And if God gets the credit.... great!
This rule, however has a gimmick in it:
You've got to be finished in less than a minute;
So all that I ask is a minute of quiet
If I feel like praying, then maybe I'll try it;
If not, oh Lord, this plea I make,
If I die in school, my soul you'll take.
This version is simply signed "Anonymous" — no claims are made that it was penned by an anonymous student.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cartoon reminded me of this little covered story:

http://tinyurl.com/7bxzpj


Pat R.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.