Thursday, January 15, 2009

Verizon Service

Today's Consumer Report
Verizon

We've had Verizon FIOS phone, internet and television service for two years.  Score:


Quality
Interface
Phone
A
 N/A
Internet
A
B+
Television
A-
C

The television interface score reflects my breaking three remote controls (@ $6.95), because I hold it in my hand, find a comfortable feeling button (Volume and Channel in my case) and, Capt. Queeg like, rock them them continuously.  More seriously, their menu system would be much improved if they just copied Direct TV's.  TV quality gets a downgrade to A- for not carrying RFD TV.  

Verizon gets a Sneaky Bastard gig too, and here's why.  When we signed up we received a bundled price, but in the past year costs have undergone significant mission creep, which I attributed to rental movies, rate increases, etc.  We were at the point of ditching all but the cheapest phone service, and going with one of the Vonage services for long distance.  But I digress.

While I was ordering a High Definition cable box, and exploring my options, the Verizon lady Mrs. Johnson asked, "do you know about our bundled service plan?"  Yes, we have the bundled service.  "I don't show that you do?"  Huh?  "Oh, I see.  It expired."  Huh?  "I'm going to go ahead and renew the contract (one year), is that okay?"  Huh?

Bottom line, and you've seen the commercials, we will get all three services for $109/ month (cheaper than when we started) , plus the set box monthly rental fee, and tax.  In our case it means that, after adding a third HD Box (TIVO-like recorder), and getting all HD programming, we will pay about $40 less/month.   Not only that, as a parting shot Mrs. Johnson said, "Oh, by the way, we're upgrading your FIOS internet to "20" download and "5" upload speed, three times faster than presently. Which was blazing to begin with.  How fast is that?  I'm writing this review two hours from now.   I did a speed test last night. Compare yours here.

I offer this for what it's worth. And remind me next January to redo my bundle, because they don't.

9 comments:

Jon said...

Howdy neighbor ... I live in Sterling which is right next to Dulles. Couldn't have posted a more relevant link for me if you tried. Just about guarantee my Comcast speed will be crap compared to yours.

Anonymous said...

whoo-hooooo!!! speed!

RetRsvMike

Anonymous said...

btw: i've get RFD-TV on channel 247 on my FiOS...

A+

RetRsvMike

Anonymous said...

DL: 22.8 Mbps
UL: 1.94 Mbps

ISP: Comcast

but I'm several hundred miles from your test point in Dulles.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

HFS!! I looked so many times, then just gave up/ RFD! Thanks RetRsvMike!.

Anonymous said...

Hee Haw!

RetRsvMike

BlogDog said...

Hey Jon!
I live in Sterling too. Barn Army meet at the Sweetwater Tavern?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I'm dying for a cattle auction.

El Jefe said...

As your neighbor to the south in Redneckistan (Calvert County) I have been envious with your access to FIOS. I've been patiently waiting for the day to arrive when I can bundle 'everything' together.

But your mentioning that you've got ever greater speed? That's just taking the piss...

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.