Friday, March 13, 2009

Loose Meat

Gyrocating
Oye
I saved an Alton Brown Good Eats show on Gyros (pronounced "Yiro"), and decided yesterday to make it .  You can see the show in segments on You Tube.  After letting my meat loaf overnight in the ice box, I was ready for the spit.  Putting loose meat on a rotisserie  skewer is counter-intuitive, but since I have the same grill, and the same skewer (TFV does too) as Alton, and since I followed his directions to a tee, I expected that the roll-over wouldn't happen.  I went to plan II, but since today is a meatless Lenten Friday, I can't consummate until tomorrow.  More then.

PART II HERE

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda like a souvlaki on a street corner Hania.
Tim

Chuck from Tacoma said...

Hey, I have that same grill. I can build some really good food with it.

Anonymous said...

Rodger, the next time you make this, repeatedly throw it, hard as you can, into a large bowl,thereby knocking out the air trapped inside.Oh, and be SURE to squeeze ALL the water out of the processed onion, using a tea towell.......No, this is not a joke as the meat needs to be firm to keep from falling apart as soon as it gets hot and oily.....If you didn't do that, it will help...If you did do that, ????? I don't know.

B....... said...

This made baby Bobby cry - he loves Yiros......

Anonymous said...

Hi Rodger....Check out this guy's idea for cooking gyromeat

Rodger the Real King of France said...

This guy appears to have ripped the whole thing off from Alton ... see the video.

Anonymous said...

Yes I had looked but I thought this guy's looked like the old country method in the the meat was stacked vertically therefore its more likely to stay together.I saw it being cooked one time in a Greek joint and that's the way it looked.It was a much hugher ball of meat. They were slicing it off as it reached the right amount of cooking.

Juice said...

Never had gyro, but boy did we love some souvlaki.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it got a bit off balance.

--mech

MitchM said...

I just use a meatloaf pan. Never a problem.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.