Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Schuyler Fisk

My Schuyler Fisk story 

While recommending the movie "I'm Reed Fish" to MoSup last night, while I watched Hoops - it's available on Showtime On-Demand - I said that I couldn't do the same on my blog, or I'd be expelled from the man club.  But I'm doing it anyway, because now I can add something that men will understand.  That in a moment.

I watched two movies over the weekend, The Promotion, and said Reed Fish.  Both wildly exceeded my expectations.  The Promotion,  because I associate star Seann William Scott
with American Pie goofiness, but he's excellent in the role of Doug, the assistant grocery store manager, as is John C. Reilly as his nemesis, but I expected that.

I don't know what prompted me to try Reed Fish, but I'm glad I did.  Didn't  recognize a person in the movie ... including Katie Sagal who has .. aged somewhat.  I found  Reed's old girlfriend Jill, played by Schuyler Fisk, whom I'd never heard of before, hauntingly pretty.  Her impromptu singing at a bar talent show blew me away, so I looked her up.  Here's her Facebook, but I'm sure y'all know her stuff.   Now, here's the man stuff.

Some years ago, c1983, the wife and I were meeting friends for lunch at Charlottesville's Boars Head Inn.  We had a table, they were late.  I went to the lobby to make sure they weren't waiting for us there and noticed a women with a baby stroller, baby and bags in arms, struggling to open the door.  She was with an older woman I took to be her mother.  I opened the door for them, and offered to carry her bags, which she allowed, and I followed them into the dining room where they were seated at the table behind ours.  It was Sissy Spacek, and the baby had to be her daughter, now named Schuyler Fisk. 

Our friends arrived just then, and I whispered to them "don't look, but that's Sissy Spacek behind you.  They looked, but fortunately she didn't notice, because she was removing her breast (left one) from behind a dropped flap, and began feeding little Schuyler.  Guys know where I'm coming from here.  I 'm uncomfortable with women who breast feed in public, because I can't not watch.  I just can't (unless it's my daughter, stab my eyes out).  She looked up and caught me, gave a wee hint of a smile and I looked away, embarrassed at being caught.

That's my Schuyler Fisk story.  I recommend both movies.

Oh yeah, Sissy somehow got my phone number and called and called until MoSup threatened to rip her eyes out.  I think that happened, but I'm old and get mixed up. 

3 comments:

B....... said...

I am, at times, restricted to the outside world (it's not what you're thinkin') and your stories give me some much needed out-of-body travel. I've added The Promotion and I'm Reed Fish to my list. Thanks Rodger.........

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks for the tonic B ...

Anonymous said...

Great story, Rodger. Never know who one might cross paths with, eh? Both movies look good to me also.

Juice

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.