Friday, July 31, 2009

Smart Chucking

Ssshhhhhh...
Smart Cars - make ya wanna chuck
don't tell anyone
SMART car owners have been left Smarting over a new craze — for chucking their motors into canals. Dutch pranksters in Amsterdam have dumped dozens of the tiny two-seater cars into the city's waterways. And now police fear the bizarre trend will spread to the UK and the rest of Europe. Eco-friendly Smart cars are small enough to be picked up by just a few people and dumped into the Dutch capital's canals, reports De Telegraaf newspaper. . One victim Casper de Jong was woken by police after they found his Smart floating in the waterway outside his apartment. Mr de Jong said: "Several weeks ago the same thing happened to my companion's Smart. Both cars were a complete write-off." One Smart sales worker said: "We're not supposed to talk about this because the police don't want the craze to spread but we've had quite a few drowned cars returned to us."
Well, the average smart car weighs 1,500 to 1,800 pounds. It seems smart chucking is easier in Europe since, for some reason, smart cars weigh less there then they do in the states, anywhere from 150 to 300 pounds less. But don't ask me why, because I don't know. There's a lot of speculation on the web about why, but I didn't see any real answers, probably because I didn't look very hard for them. I really don't care all that much since I ain't buying one. I just wanted to tell you how much they weighed. In case you wanted to chuck one.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will, as soon as I see one.
jr III

word verify noods

Anonymous said...

It's called "Smart car tipping". Really.

Anonymous said...

I see a bunch of Smart Cars in this "hippie" city. If I drove a Ford F350 it'd be a case of "did you feel a bump?".

DoubleU said...

I still laugh out loud when I see them. Now I think about it, at a traffic light it would be better for everyone to get out of the vehicle I am in go over to the smart car, pick it up and turn it around so that it faces the wrong direction.

Anonymous said...

My paternal grandmother was a French war bride from WW1. When my dad was a young Marine (late 1940's), a couple of his buddies turned grandma's Renault sideways in the garage. Couldn't get it out for days.

Anonymous said...

Just addin' a 460 with a HD tranny and some slicks will keep the punks from picking one up. Love to recycle my big-assed F350 into one of those little Indian thingies. Call it the "Bodacious Tata". All Hail Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

Jimmy don\'t play that

Anonymous said...

In college there was a football practice field next to a student parking lot. Our favorite gag was get 10-12 guys, grab a VW bug and put it sideways between the two posts that held up the goal posts. Car would fit with about 3 inches clearance on each end.

We finally quit when we got caught by the football team, who always had to remove the cars before they could start practice.

Anonymous said...

The extra 300 lbs is for US government regulations.

Stick

Anonymous said...

Why? Won't they burn?

e~C

Anonymous said...

What? those little cars don't come with a bike chain so you can lock it to a lamp post?
Rob

Anonymous said...

And this is what you can do to those things if you want to have a lot of fun. This looks FUN>

Phatbastard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdmmWb9DhQ&feature=related

Anonymous said...

No no no - the bass line to the music has more horsepower than that lil' rice grinder. This is the mill I'm talkn' 'bout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0

Jimmy don\'t play that

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.