Saturday, August 08, 2009

Snipes

Corporal Christopher Reynolds shot a top-level Taliban commander - called Musa - who co-ordinated dozens of attacks against British and US soldiers.  From a mile away.  Cpl Reynolds, of 3 Scots, The Black Watch, has already killed 32 other Taliban fighters during some of the hardest fighting of the Afghan campaign.


A Brit sniper is credited with the longest range kill in Afghanistan ... 1500 meters (.932 Miles). His partner then nailed a Taliban sniper - who spoke with a Birmingham accent - who was shooting from a tiny hole in a wall more than half a mile away. 

We were taking fire all the time. We were observing down the valley and I saw a group of five Taliban. I identified one straightaway as the commander because I watched him through the scope and when he spoke on the radio, the other one would do what he said."I saw that he had a weapon, an AK47. We did all the calculations for range, windspeed and all that. I have to admit the first round landed next to him. We were so far away that he didn't even realise he was being shot at."We changed our aim and when I took into account different factors like the trajectory of the bullet, my gun scope was actually aiming at the top of a doorway. I fired and the bullet went off, coming down and hitting him in the chest."He dropped straight away into the arms of a fighter behind him."The guy just panicked and dropped the leader and ran away."He had been given a lead sleeping tablet. I was quite proud of that shot - it is the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan. I am going to use that fact as a chat-up line in the pub when I get back home.

 Wikipedia says this.

"The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles), accomplished by Master Corporal Rob Furlong, a sniper from Newfoundland, Canada, in March 2002 during the war in Afghanistan.

No matter to me, 1500 meters is an impossible shot, but not so much.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about British women, but if I were younger, that kind of sniper shooting would be a turn-on. mary

Anonymous said...

"Wanna come back to my place and see my practice targets?"

Anonymous said...

Move right and up. I see a target in that armory with the two tall towers.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

You are not alone miss mary. ;]
Juice

BlogDog said...

Watch it Mary! He might be able to impregnate you from the other side of the room!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahaha....Bluedog, that was hillarious!

Adrem....

Topeka Troll said...

I've seen some video of the canucks in action. Awesome shots. not to take away from our Brit friends, they come from the same fabric as did our colonists.
It takes a special breed to be a sniper.

BlogDog said...

Bluedog? BLUEDOG?
That's BlogDog IF you don't mind!!!

Anonymous said...

The Canuk record shot was a two shot kill.

Any thread such as this should do homage to Gunny Carlos "Whitefeather" Hathcock, USMC whose single shot kill record still stands. This shot was taken in Viet Nam. Earlier on, Gy Hathcock pinned down and killed an entire NVA replacement COMPANY. A freaking company!

Ooorah, Gy Whitefeather

Anonymous said...

Simo Hayha. 500 confirmed sniper kills in 100 days. In 20-below-zero weather. Using iron sights.

Anonymous said...

Billy Ray you may wish to check your facts, While in-fact Rob Furlong took 3 shots (1 missed, 1 hit the pack of the militant, the third hit the torso and killed) the kill shot was a single shot to the body as the other two did not wound the target.

As well, prior to Rob Furlong's shot, Aaron Perry (of the same unit) broke Hathcock's record with a 2,310m kill

pdwalker said...

1500m, 2310m, what-freaking-ever.

In my book, they should all get a standing ovation.

Call me simple and unskilled but I'm pleased to hit the backstop at 400m. The skill of these men is something almost incomprehensible to me.

Anonymous said...

WHERE are all of the bleeding-heart fucktards that were carping non-stop during the Iraq war? Jeez, you wouldn't even know a war was being fought given the current level of coverage by the lamestream media. Unbelievable!

molonlabe28 said...

If this doesn't make you feel great all over, you are dead or asleep.

I have a hard enough time shooting beyond 100 yards to envision shooting an enemy combatant in a different zip code.

Hats off to this Yank.

Anonymous said...

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

this is my favorite write up of the white death

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.