Thursday, August 20, 2009

U can allus trust a hippie

Cutting the cord

Ever greater numbers of Americans are disconnecting their home telephones, with momentous consequences

The Economist sees these problems arising ...
It will make life increasingly difficult for telecoms firms, naturally. But it will also hurt all business that require landlines, as bills rise and business models are disrupted. No less seriously, the withering fixed-line network threatens the work of the emergency services, such as the police and fire brigade.

The danger, says Mr Moffett, is that regulators will introduce new taxes on wireless and broadband services. Revenues from new services would then be used to keep an obsolete infrastructure alive—a recipe for lower growth. At that point, he says, the “wireline problem” really will be everyone’s problem.
Worry wart that I am, my thoughts center on how many satellites the ChiComs have to destroy in order to shut down all digital communication?  And will a gummint run by San Francisco hippies fund a national defense effort to protect them [Duh]?  I mean, what the hell.  If the Obamunists would scrap what I think is the single most important, and promising  defensive program the nation had, nothing is safe.  Like I said, buy crossbows while you can.  They're a bitch to make.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I still have all my old ham radio and CB equipment stashed away. My license is expired, but if the SHTF, that won't matter.

Get a good shortwave radio receiver. Be prepared to tune in to AWM radio, Voice of the Resistance.

AWM

tom said...

I have heard cell phone service is horrible in a lot of places. The Cu twisted pair to my home works, even when the power goes out.
From my limited experience, I don't want one. Tiny buttons, and un-readable screens make the devices difficult. They make a new model every two minutes, so if you learn one, it will soon be out of style.
Nieces and nephews have their own cells, with pull out keyboards that would need a knitting needle to operate.
Back on topic, the people doing the polling are getting a limited slice of the electorate. Perhaps us old bastids who know the facts, and are aware of unintended consequences popping up all the time, will be an unsuspected source of votes that the over-confident lefty groups will miss. One can hope.
tomw

B....... said...

AWM - "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" And will I be able to buy ad time for reload sales?

C Barnett said...

When the SHTF, I'll want my gun, not a phone. Until then, I'm sticking with my cell rather than pay $600/year for people to talk to an answering machine at my house.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.