Thursday, August 20, 2009

VA - True Story

Ex-soldiers don't need to be
told they're a burden to society.


I just now received this timely e-mail. 
Hey I'm at work but saw your post about 'end of life' counseling at the VA and had to share something that happened STG just yesterday.  My dad ( 72) uses the VA hospital in  ________ for his healthcare and for the most part has received excellent care for the last several years.  He was scheduled for a laser prostate surgery yesterday morning.  When he got there - they didn't have him on the schedule ( typical government efficiency) so he re-rescheduled.  The doctor also said he was going to put him on another medicine and sent it to the pharmacy.  Later in the day my dad goes to pick it up and STG it was an anti-depressant!  Now my dad is the last person in the world to ever need anti-depressants (spoken as someone who has taken them for years).  I tried to figure out why an antidepressant would be prescribed for prostate trouble - and checked with a med professional last night about it.  He said it made no sense from a medical standpoint.

Now I just read your post and can't help but think that there was an ulterior motive in getting my dad labeled with a 'diagnosis' of depression.  What do you think?

Lurker

3 comments:

Rodger the Real King of France said...

There are but two possibilites that I can see.

1. Bungling VA physician
2. What you're thinking.

Unknown said...

I just returned from Japan a few weeks back with an infected cut on my hand. I had nicked it on my cutoff saw a few days earlier and it was sending out SOS to the now inflamed lymph nodes in the armpit. The following day I went to the VA for some antibiotics, was told that I needed none and why did I call a bug bite(read-staph)the onset of a minor staph infection?.....nearly two weeks pass and the nodes are tappin' out. I return to the VA to ask again for antibiotics and this time they agreed with me but not before my trip to the ER.....damn near went septic.....kin VA morons and morons in general are gonna kill people and still be too stupid to know why or believe that they are responsible for their own ignorance and willful ignorance!

Unknown said...

Please pass on to your dad, laser prostate surgery last fall set me back 15 years! Nearing 70, it is great when some things work like they did at 55.
Knowing your health care provider cannot meet its own schedule, that could be depressing.

A Mudgeon from Texas

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.