Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Zillow Invasion

Speaking of privacy issues ...

Here's something not many of you know about.  Zillow.com marries Google maps with current real estate prices for, well, everyone as far as I can  determine  This is Barry's Chicago residence, the one he purchased with sweetheart financing in return for political favors.  Ahem.  The prices shown represent the last sell price, or appraisal.  In many cases you can select the street view and travel around the hood.  I'm about to drive over to Farrakhan's house, just down the street, and burn a cross on his lawn.  I think he'll laugh at my boyish impetuosity.   If the home sold recently, you can often tour it, which makes it so much easier to  find the master bedroom in the dark, in case you don't live there *wink-wink*.    I know you're anxious to go find your childhood home, so I'll let you go.   No fair looking in my underwear drawer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does Bing provide coordinates that could, for example, be entered into a B-52's target computer? Just askin' ;-)

Anonymous said...

Zillow overestimates hugely. It's famous for getting the numbers wrong.

Anonymous said...

Rog, you just made my day. I was able to compare my house bought in 2007 with others in the 'hood and zillow's estimate to see we're well in the black on it. We aren't planning to sell any time soon, but when our equity gets high enough we can drop the PMI and save $230 a month. I was afraid we were upside-down, I almost didn't want to look! This will be good news to Mrs. Annoyed. Thanks!

AWM

Anonymous said...

He's right, it's not an estimate you can rely on heavily. I'm sure it's a very rough estimate based only on house and lot size, # of bedrooms and baths. There are lots of other factors, of course.

In my case I know several things in my favor the zillow doesn't, so I think it's pretty close. For the record, it shows most of the recent sales in my area as valued 5-10% under what they paid in 2006, which is probably true. Even with the market down I'm about 8% up, which is where I hoped. I got a good deal.

AWM

Anonymous said...

Now I know who stole my bumper sticker. Bet the sumbitch won't give it back, either.

H

Anonymous said...

Just look my house up here in El Paso. Last Central Appraisement District appraisal was 105k. This shows my house at 140k. AIN'T gonna happen any time soon. Overinflated by a large margin.

Anonymous said...

Zillow is great but it uses microsoft virtual earth, now Bing maps. Great detail and easier than google earth.
Tim

Anonymous said...

P.S. I looked up you house Rodger.
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I know you fukker ... I just missed you by a c/h too.

Alear said...

Zillo probably is a bit high on my 'umble abode here in Columbus, but not out of reach. My neighborhood wasn't hit much by the bubble or the downturn, it's quite blue collar.

OTOH, mint.com tremendously undervalues it, and I don't know why. They run a great service otherwise, recommended.

Alear said...

Ack, correcting my above post. Mint.com is subtracting my mortgage and reporting only what the house's asset value is. My bad, and I stand behind my recommendation.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.