Thursday, September 24, 2009

The A&P on Thunder Road

Census worker hanged with 'fed' on body

Picture for flavor only (Hazard KY)

Maybe news that ACORN was no longer doing the census never made it down there.  My condolences to the poor guy's family, but I'm none too fond of Census people coming to my house either. Anyway, if you're thinking that story reminded me of another'n, you're right.

The Louisville, KY sales district was too small to have a training supervisor, so I was dispatched in the early 70's to train a new guy.  The food company I worked for had a strict dress code; business suit, white shirt, wingtips, business haircut and no facial hair.  They were obsessive about enforcing it.  This day we worked the area around Harlan County, and pulled into a town with an A&P store.  My salesman very nervously suggested that we go in sans coat and tie.  Nuh-uh, I perfunctorily replied, citing the dress code.  But, he explained, with a coat and tie we might be mistaken for Feds.  "And ...?" says I.  "And they shoot feds here." He seemed  very earnest about it, so I agreed and we ditched them.

After we checked stock, rotated cans, etc., we went to the manager's office to make our pitch for stocking additional product.  Working from memory here, the office was in the rear of this small A&P, and the manager was a very convivial sort, wearing a white short sleeve shirt and bow tie.  While trainee did his stuff, I perused framed pictures cut from, I think, Life magazine that were hanging on the wall.  Depicted: three dead men laying in the street, just outside this very store.  The manager, he'd been a stock clerk at the time, explained.

The dead men were feds.  Revenuers.  Shot dead, and left to percolate in the hot summer sun because the other feds were reluctant for obvious reasons to move them.  After dark,  a small army of them hauled the bodies away.  The A&P manager was pleased as punch to relate this story.  I never wore a tie on in Harlan County again.

I tried Googling this story up, but after an hour of wading through Thunder Road hits, I gave up.  I have a story about Thunder Road too. About working the kiddie car ride at the Maryland State Fair with a guy'd been in the movie.  But that's for another time.

12 comments:

Chuck Martel said...

Clay County can be a rough area for a stranger asking personal questions.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I have been in Harlan a couple times. A stranger could roller skate on the stares he gets in that town. Hard!

Anonymous said...

I just watched that movie last week, Mitchum had a fabulous death in it
MM

Anonymous said...

obviously perpetrated by talk-radio-listening, gun totin, right-wingers who our trying to bring down our President.

YAT

Anonymous said...

Yatalli,
Remember when the Feds tried to investigate the Haida Indians on Prince of Whales Island? The USF&W boat was last seen being used as a Haida commercial fishing boat... Fed's bodies were never found as well as the first 2 FBI agents that came up to investigate the Fish Cops disappearance.
RAK

Anonymous said...

RAK,

Perhaps we should send the entire US Congress up there on a "fact finding mission" ;-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Acidman grew up in Harland County, KY. His archives have a number of stories about growing up in the area. And yes, it's hard. I'd hate to be an outsider there.

Bill
Willstuff

Anonymous said...

Don't send the entire Congress, just the 95% that give the others a bad name.

SFAOV Sgsaur

Anonymous said...

40+ years ago my uncle Pete ran the hotel in Hazard, don't know if it was that one. I remember it as taller but then, I was only 5 or 6. When I was in school later I used to go from VA to pick up parts at the Caterpillar warehouse in Harlan. Folks down there are very close knit and don't have a lot of patience w/outsiders. Little things could get real big and real ugly fast. -embycil

pdwalker said...

If only more counties had thot attitude towards the feds, the US might be a lot better off today.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys for turning me on to the "Acidman"....I've had a great time meandering around his site. Damn sorry I missed him....

Ad rem...

JMcD said...

"Census worker hanged with 'fed' on body"

This'll be one of the earlier cases.

Soon, all American births will come with a "Fed" parasite already attached.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.