Wednesday, September 23, 2009

DOG Watch

FEH!
You Lie


Mail Order Hot Dogs
 Blog Dog has been around long enough to know of my fondness for Chicago hot dogs.  Hell my kids, as did  Hucker a few Father's Days ago, send them to me (Tastes of Chicago). 

But that's not what this is about.  Blog Dog sent me this link to Jungle Trader's look at the top ten hot dog consuming cities and the recipes that make them hometown favorites:

Here's the list. A glance tells us all we need to know.  It's an ill considered piece of crap.

1. New York (NY)
2. Los Angeles (CA)
3. Baltimore (MD)/Washington, D.C.
4. Philadelphia (PA)
5. Chicago (IL)
6. San Antonio/Corpus Christi (TX)
7. Boston (MA)
8. Harrisburg/Scranton (PA)
9. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (FL)
10. Charleston (SC)

New York ranked at the top is no surprise, what with the media clout they have.  Hell, they (CBS) once called Sam Huff the greatest linebacker in the game. This while The Bears' Bill George was active.  But Chicago in 5th place?  Behind Baltimore?
 
3. Baltimore (MD)/Washington, D.C. – Popular within the nation’s capital, the Monumental Dog is typically an all-beef frank topped with banana peppers, onions, diced red peppers, sliced pickles and served on a steamed potato hot dog bun that has been spread with mayonnaise.

... steamed potato hot dog bun that has been spread with mayonnaise? I've lived here for 80 some years and can tell with no fear of being contradicted with fact, that:
  1. Baltimore has no hot dog eating tradition.  None.  Zilch. The closest they came to one was Polack Johnny's, which served up a damned good Polish Sausage. There was a place on DC's M Street in the 70's that made their own dogs, and that was pretty good, but it went bust.  You can drive from Towson to DC without passing more than two hot dog joints.
  2. I have never seen, nor heard of putting mayo on a dog,  Ever.
I'm calling bulls*it on this whole deal.  Chicago dogs are number one, two and three. Period. Los Angels indeed.


19 comments:

B....... said...

Fixed - just like best brunches and best happy hour joints. Money under the table does the talking.........

Anonymous said...

I gotta admit, I've never even heard of this 'monumental dog' before, but I've FREQUENTLY heard of putting mayo on the hot dog bun before, whether it's officially in the description or not. Chef's trick to keep soft bread buns (such as potato rolls) from dissolving with more liquid toppings.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but the bun needs toasting and the veggies need some grilling. BTW Here's some burger ideas (was this previewed here before?).

alwaysFresh,neverFrozen

BlogDog said...

I was hoping you'd post that pic of the Chicago dogs again - oh lordy that's pure beauty. I think I'm going to have to order me some a dat!
And even though I didn't say so, I TOTALLY agree - the Chicago dog rocks the rest. Including the NY doggie style.

Anonymous said...

The LA dog? But of course, it's rolled in a flour tortilla.

Casca

Anonymous said...

As for Baltimore having no hot dog tradition, that can be disproved with one word--Esskay

leelu said...

L.A. dogs - Pink's chili dog (to this day), and the old (pre-move) Tail o' the Pup's bacon-peanut butter dog.

Now that I'm in Owings Mills, I have to settle for a dog at 5 Guys.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Having a dog mfg does not a great dog eating town make. Quick - where do you go when you just gotta have a "Baltimore dog?"

Anonymous said...

I thought that Father's Day meal included fries and Melinda's. :]
Juice

Anonymous said...

Rodge you look like you are tearing up in the roll over.

Thor~

Anonymous said...

Oh man Rog, a diner 1/2 block away from me now serves Vienna Red Hots!! And steamed poppy seed buns with a killer dill relish.

All I can say is thank god the best Chicago style pizza(thin, crispy thin crust and remember, cut into squares?) is a 45 minute drive from here.

Now all I need is a Pat's King of Steaks to open up here in Golden to push me into cardiac arrest-I was shipped off to S Philly in the summers and Pats was 2 blocks away.
MM

Anonymous said...

I think you're right, Rodger. New York can certainly lay claim to the Coney Island Dog and Nathan's hosts that dog eating contest every year, but I have never noticed any particular passion for dogs out of New Yorkers. That trait belongs to Chicagoans.

Here in Detroit there's nothing special about ours, but everyone agrees that there are two places to go for dogs. Both on Lafayette Ave: American Coney Island and Lafayette Coney Island. They're right next door to each other. They share a common wall. Benn that way forever. The consensus doesn't try to choose one over the other. When I go, I usually just go to the one I didn't go to the last time.

OTOH, when it comes to a plain dog-on-a-bun-with-mustard, there is only one that I look forward to eating. Plath's in Rodgers City, Michigan.
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

OK, Roger was referring to dining out when it came to the hot dog tradition. How about the Dog House? Yeah, that place down by the jailhouse in Baltimore. It's been there forever, maybe older than you or me.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Multiply that by 10,000 and you'll have a tradition.

badanov said...

Hell, they (CBS) once called Sam Huff the greatest linebacker in the game.

Everyone knows that Lawrence Taylor is the greatest linebacker ever to play the game.

And I've never been to New York.

Randy Rager said...

I know that list is bullshit, cause Cincinnati ain't on it.

They have so many types of dogs up here, I could write a four part trilogy (like Douglas Adams!) just cataloging them.

Just got through knocking back three Hillshire Farms Beer Brats With Miller High Life. I like 'em toasted a light brown, then sliced and dipped in Gulden's mustard. Please don't throw rocks, I'm trying to limit the carbs.

And that's what was in the markdown section. At Biggs.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

LT hadn't been born when CBS aired "The Violent World of Sam Huff" in 1960.

ballyfager said...

You can bullshit the younger people but Sam Huff WAS better than Bill George.

Anonymous said...

Geez, Rog, what about Butkus?

Casca

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.