Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gore Vidal

People named Gore
wtf is it with them?


 I'll admit to having enjoyed Gore Vidal's  books about Lincoln and Burr, but then Barbra Streisand has a nice voice.  Otherwise, my opinion of Gore Vidal was cemented at this video moment with Bill Buckley.  Forty years later he's still alive, and the archetypal Liberal;  arrogant, smug,  anti-American,  and ever deserving of a punch in the nose, which Bill Buckley came damned close to delivering. He's on today's radar screen because Drudge hyped Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’    Read it if you want, but this passage  pretty much destroys any specter of  Vidal the sagacious visionary, if one indeed ever existed.

His voice strengthens. “One thing I have hated all my life are LIARS [he says that with bristling anger] and I live in a nation of them. It was not always the case. I don’t demand honour, that can be lies too. I don’t say there was a golden age, but there was an age of general intelligence. We had a watchdog, the media.” The media is too supine? “Would that it was. They’re busy preparing us for an Iranian war.” He retains some optimism about Obama “because he doesn’t lie. We know the fool from Arizona [as he calls John McCain] is a liar. We never got the real story of how McCain crashed his plane [in 1967 near Hanoi, North Vietnam] and was held captive.”

8 comments:

JMcD said...

Didn't Gore Vidal claim to be related to Al Gore?
Evidence says this is untrue.
??? Why would anyone want to claim kin with Al Gore?

Darrell said...

God bless WFB. I miss him. :(

JMcD said...

That's one of many times that I have seen that video..... I always get great pleasure every time I see William F. threaten that GD Vidal.
My pleasure could have only been greater if Buckley would have decked that smarmy little bastard.

Anonymous said...

Buckley should have made him his bitch. Lost opportunity.

Anonymous said...

My son (ex Marine) and I (USN Ret) watched 'The Longest Day' one afternoon. Then they started running episodes of M*A*S*H. About ten minutes into the first one (durring a normal Alda/Hawkeye whinefest) my boy said "Wouldn't it be cool to watch John Wayne punch him (Alda) right in the mouth?" It brought a tear to my eye.
Tim

Chuck Martel said...

I never understood why people thought M*A*S*H was funny.

Anonymous said...

MASH was a reasonably decent program for quite a while, despite Alda. What brought it down for me was when Alda got more and more positions like director, or writer. It went from a somewhat dark comedy to a preachy whiney morality play.

I think Alda can be summed up very well by something I said to my (liberal) mother: "The country needs more John Waynes and Randolph Scotts. What we've got is Alan Aldas and Sean Penns".

- the friendly grizzly

Anonymous said...

This subject is not complete without the classic Lisa Simpson quote, "Friends? Books are my only friends, and the grown-up nerds who write them. Grown-up nerds like Gore Vidal, and even he's kissed more boys than I ever will."

Casca

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.