Monday, October 05, 2009

Quail Shoot

Hunting with Gramps

 Me and Gramps, having milked the cow, headed out to the woods behind the barn for our daily quick morning hunt before he went to work at the coal mine.  I knew when it was time to go back because, even before gramma rang the dinner bell, I could smell the eggs frying.  Isn't that odd?  Not the bacon, but the eggs.  I had the 12 ga. shotgun.  I was 9 or 10. 

As we navigated our way through (me) and over (him) the barbed wire fence,  a covey of quail took off.  If you've heard the sound, you know how startling it is. Still half under the barbed wire, I wheeled to take a shot at the birds and only Providence kept me from blowing grampa's head off.

While I'd been schooled by him about never pointing a gun at anything I didn't want to kill, there had been no elaboration on how accidents happen.  That was the  elaboration. He knew it, and never said a another word, and I've never ever forgotten it where guns are involved.  My mind winces every time I think about it.   Cool guy my Grampa. Wow, he is getting younger looking every day.

Gramps and Gramma (holding her first grandson) 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep
Wisdom comes from experience,
and experience often comes from a lack of wisdom.
Age comes from surviving life's "teachable moments."
Wanna see some scars?
—DougM
(Turing word: schyt)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Well said Doug.

Kristophr said...

I try to learn from the mistakes of others ... some of those mistakes are not survivable.

Anonymous said...

Brought back memories of rabbit hunting in southern Md. with my Father , and my Great Uncle . We called him " Grey Butt " I made the progression from carrying a tobacco stick , to BB gun , to .410 . Safe gun handling was always stressed when the Beagles were singing . I will never forget the smell of my Fathers spent shells . I know they will be there , if I make it to Heaven : ) smibsid

molonlabe28 said...

Isn't that a picture of Ad and Elizabeth Toepperwein and his wife?

I would like to say that my gun skills and habits had been passed down, but that isn't the case.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.