Thursday, November 12, 2009

the Pet Care Perk

Ruh-Roh
 Wait until Democrats from Manhattan to Marin hear about this "fairness" issue.

 I was looking for the recent post where I, not so tongue in cheek, suggested that we'll soon be getting free gummint pet care.  That camel's nose is sniffing under the tent.

Employers offer pet health care as perk

Even as the human health care debate rages in Congress, businesses are showing support for the animal kingdom by providing heath insurance for their employees' four-legged friends.

Hundreds of companies including Google Inc. and Blockbuster Inc. offer pet health insurance as a supplementary benefit to attract and retain employees, said David Lummis, a senior pet market analyst for Packaged Facts, a market research firm.


If memory serves, it was during a Dick Nixon anti-inflation wage freeze that employers began offering, on a wide scale, comprehensive medical insurance as a way around it.   I'm sure they never imagined that Democrats would turn that gambit into a mandated responsibility.   By the by, I never did find that quote, but I did find this, and it made me laugh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Health insurance as a perk was instituted as a wage freeze workaround as a result of FDR's wage freezes during WWII. Don't blame that one on Nixon.

Gerry N.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

.
El correcto, my memory didn't serve so well. It's a moot point anyway, the process was the same. I guess I got "Mr. Conservative's" goals mixed up.

""In the early 1970’s, a goal of President Nixon was to reform the
employer based system. He had hoped to pass legislation that would
mandate employers to provide health benefits.  ... The goal of
President Nixon may have been to require all employers to provide
health benefits, but the only policy that came out of the process
simply regulated the employers if they chose to offer health benefits. (The Decline of Employer Based Health Insurance)"
"
.

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear people like my mother go into a tantrum about Nixon I have to ask why? He gave the lefties everything they could possibly want:

affirmative action
wage and price controls
the EEOC was his i believe
etc.

- the friendly grizzly

Anonymous said...

I hear there's a subsidy for veterinarians in Natcy Peeloser's "Hell Care" Bill.
[haven't found it yet]

So do they send my dawg to jail with me if I don't buy in?

[Thanks Cass Sunstein!]

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.