Thursday, December 03, 2009

Del Femina

Apples and Scotch in the Shower

 This is what I was thinking about  in the shower this morning (unlike Raymond, I use my shower time for serious reflection).  Scotch and apple juice. 

Yesterday, when I went to the Giant, I again picked up a bottle of "Simply Apple."  It cost $3.99.  This morning while I poured some I thought , WTF?  I can buy a gallon of the store brand for the same price, and it tastes just as good (I chug cold liquids, so taste is secondary). Why did I buy this again? There, on the counter, was the top from the last bottle.  I saved it.  I saved it!  Because, I thought at the time, to replace other bottle caps with it.  Why?  Because it's so damned ergonomically pleasing to open.  You don't twist it with a thumb and two girly fingers. You wrap your hand around its girthful elegance and undo. That led me to the Scotch.

In his book "From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor," Jerry Del Femina recounted how Chivas Regal became THE prestige Scotch whiskey in the U.S..  Chivas had been priced to compete with the Johnny Walker brand, but was not selling.  A new ad agency did two things. 
  1. They commissioned the design of a distinctive new bottle. 
  2. They doubled the price.
It became the the second best selling brand almost overnight, largely because of that bottle design, and snob appeal.  While this isn't a direct corollary to my apple juice, it doesn't have to be in my shower.

ASIDE I:  I am not a big Scotch drinker, but several of my friends are.  My BIL was, I suspected, a snob drinker.  I took an empty Chivas Bottle, and filled it with whatever was cheapest at the liquor store.  When he'd came over I asked,  "soda with your Scotch?"  He  looks at the bottle and feigns, "are you kidding me? Adulterate Chivas?  I'll have mine neat."  He takes a sip, and with eyes closed  goes, "Ahhhh - now that's Scotch."  

ASIDE 2:  I notice that the Wikipedia entry for Del Femina states:

His 1971 book From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor was a best-seller. The title refers to a tongue-in cheek slogan proposed for the client Panasonic during a brainstorming session.

The story is much more delicious than that.  On his first morning at a new agency he was told he had a meeting with Panasonic in two hours, and needed something fast.   Not knowing a thing about Panasonic, other than they were a Japanese company selling televisions, he went to the art department and came up with something like this .  An hour later he unveiled the copy to  less than enthusiastic Panasonic executives.   But Del Femina became an icon in the business as the story was told, and retold over Madison Ave luncheon Martinis.  I loved that book, and it did have an affect on how I approached marketing.

12 comments:

Gayle Miller said...

I used to fill up an empty Chivas bottle with Mary Queen of Scots scotch for the benefit of my uncle who insisted on having boilermakers with my good stuff! Mixing any Scotch with beer is just wrong! Now, I don't even think that I have a bottle in my house (personally I detest the stuff) although if I did it would be single malt since my sister likes that!

I had a stroke in April so I just suck on a small glass of red wine!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Gayle, you must start taking Oil of Oregano!

Anonymous said...

I buy Military Special at the NEX and refill my Tanqueray and other bottles. I hide my Glen Livet from my neighbor who is a lawyer. I also have a large collection of tapper handles for my Beermeister. Same reason. Makes the snobs happy.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Gayle--

Please, please, please go to a GOOD health food store and check out the Oil of Oregano tablets--DO NOT take the oil, it will peel the stainless steel off of an SR-71--and you will be DELIGHTED with the results. This was a well-known medicine back before penicillin, and together with colloidal silver saved many lives.

I use Biotics Research Corporation, and endorse it heartily.

cap'n chumbucket

Rodger the Real King of France said...

.
WONDER DRUGS is the official C&S purveyor of fine elixirs, and live saving medications. Ahem. Let's have no more acts of lese majesty.
.

Randy Rager said...

I've never been able to stand the blended stuff (exception: some hideously expensive Johnny Walker blend that's MORE expensive than single malt, WTF?), but I certainly do relate to the expanded use of store branded items.

Wal-Mart's house branded items, for instance, are generally just as good as the big names. And Kirkland (Costco house brand) is generally BETTER than national brands.

Try Kirkland Beer and you'll see what I mean.

Word verification: caning. Can we institute it for any member of Congress that proposes an un-Constitutional law? Yeah, I know we'd be at it day and night forever, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Scottiebill said...

My "wonder drug-of-choice" is Icehouse, put out by Plank Road Brewery. For a good, mild beer, that is one of the best. As far as the hard stuff goes, I like a Tanqueray and tonic or three on a real hot day and the occasional Margarita at a good Mexican restaurant. I do NOT like any kind of whiskey at all.

And Randy, why limit your caning idea to those members of Congress that propose un-Constitutional laws? Why don't we have them caned at least once a week just for being there in the first place? Maybe it would get their attention to the fact that they are public servants and we are their "masters", as it were. To paraphrase Bill Cosby: We put them in there , we can take them out of there.

Murphy(AZ) said...

Next time you're in the Liquor Department of your local Slaveway (or related regional grocery stores) Look on the UPC bar codes of the lesser-known brand names for any UPC that begins with 21130 or 79893. These are Slaveway house brands.

Now, I am a hard-core Scotch and Irish Whisky drinker, so I pretty much know when someone is trying to pass off a less than top-line whisky. But for the most part, ANY store label these days is more a blend of alcohol from a chemical factory and artificial colors and flavors, so if all you're looking for is a good buzz and fooling your "friends," go with the cheap stuff in the expensive bottles. Keep the "real" single malt 12 year-old holy water for your REAL friends (you know: the ones who will help you move or hide the bodies of those who won't.)

Anonymous said...

Look at the fine print on the apple juice. Be sure it is not made with stuff??? imported from China. The only brand around here that says USA is Treetop. This fine print is not usually on the label; it is printed on the actual container and is difficult to find.
Aline(the artist formerly known as mary)

Randy Rager said...

Murphy, that may be true of the other chains, but that's not the way Jim Sinegal does business. When Kirkland wants to move into a product line, they either subcontract a major player (or two, preferably, competition keeps 'em honest, see the Kirkland chocolate covered raisins for an example), or they buy some production facilities outright.

For instance, Kirkland Vodka is manufactured in France. It's not Grey Goose, as a lot of people thought for years, but it IS made at a distillery Grey Goose put out of business.

I have no clue where Kirkland Beer or Kirkland Tequila (coming soon to a Costco near you!) are made. I DO know that their beer kicks ass and you should try some soonest.

Anonymous said...

All of this label reading sounds exhausting.

Casca

Chris in NC said...

My son worked for Abercrombie and Fitch at the mall when he was in high school. He'd get the rejects that couldn't be worn or sold, remove their tags and re-sew the tags over the Wrangler or what ever Wal-mart brand he could find. Funniest thing ever. No one noticed, not even his girlfriends.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.