Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bacon Taste

 BACON

Boned Jello

MoSup is blessed with uncanny senses of hearing and taste, much to my dismay at times, ahem.  She can, for instance,  tell if I sectioned her grapefruit with  a knife used to slice garlic, and not washed.  Usually she let's things like that go, but when it comes to bacon she's fussy and outspoken. 

Boned Jello
The Greeper and Joe bought me a gourmet bacon of the month deal once, and we're talking expensive stuff here.  It was all quite good, and served to set a new taste standard.  Ordinarily I buy whatever's on sale.  Gwaltney, Smithfield, Giant brand.  All crap to her.  Last month BJ's had a deal on Oscar Meyer, so I bought several packs, and that more than passed muster.  It has taste, and renders little fat.  Last night I bought Oscar Meyer Extra-Thick (Applewood Smoked) from Giant (2 for $7).  Horry Clap!  This is the best bacon evah!

Normally a pound of bacon will yield two of these glasses of fat.  Look at this!  Maybe 2 TBSP.  And, the bacon is T-A-S-T-Y-licious.  I will buy this stuff, even at full price from now on. 

You're welcome.

12 comments:

B....... said...

Perhaps it's because I have not yet had my second morning martini, but those 2 black splotches on the bacon are bring back memories of NASA's Viking 1 Face on Mars photo. I'm getting such a creepy feeling. Anyway, back to the liquor cabinet, and thanks for the bacon tip Rodge.......

Rodger the Real King of France said...

That was distracting, so I scraped the black off.

Anonymous said...

I always welcome tips on improving my bacon intake. Thank you so much.

It's another case of cheaper is not always better, sometimes you really do get more for your money when you buy the good stuff.

We've taken to baking the bacon on a sheet in the oven when making enough for everyone. It shrinks less and cooks evenly. I recently saw Alton Brown cooking it in a waffle maker. I bet a George Foreman Grill does a nice job.

AWM
WV: distory: [n] The inaccurate Liberal version of history.

El Jefe said...

But, with so little fat displacement, you'll need to cook about 100 lbs of bacon to yield enough goodness to make a batch of biscuits (not that 100 lbs of bacon is bad thing...)

DougM said...

Mmmm.
Makes me wanna park in front of CAIR HQ, drop the tailgage, fire up the camp stove, and fry up a batch.

Chuck from Tacoma said...

I bought some bacon the other day that was lacking in flavor.
Pulled out the bacon salt from Woot and fixed it right up.
Won't buy that bacon again, but the Bacon salt made it good and flavorful.
The wifey has me on some stupid diet where I have to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, bacon and fish or chicken for lunch and steak and yard waste for dinner.
Sounds dumb to me, but have offed 22 lbs so far this month.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

low carb diet

Anonymous said...

panko bacon?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

YES!

cmblake6 said...

That really looks superb! I must buy that next time!

rascalina said...

We also cook our bacon in the oven. Cept we put it on the cookie cooling rack and then put it on a baking sheet with a high lip on all sides. Catches all the bacon FAT and separates it. Comes out real crisp. Trick is when it's done, you gotta take your spatula and take it off the rack as soon as it comes out otherwise it will stick. Also the longer you leave it in there, the crispier and dryer it becomes. To the point of melts in your mouth.

depending on the thickness of the bacon it's about 20 - 25 mins at a 400•F oven.

Now I am always in charge of making the bacon, but if I let my husband make it, case in point what happened yesterday, it comes out raw and inedible. hehe

DrMadjack said...

DougM can we use a koran to fule the fire?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.