Saturday, January 02, 2010

Movie Review

Julia and Julie
 Today's seasoned and shriveled movie revue.



I have sitting in front of the DVD player a NetFlix mailer that holds Cranford: Disc 1.  It's been sitting there since June 6th, 2008, which means the last movie MoSup and I watched together predated that.  We tried Cranford, which by all appearance is a movie I would probably love, but just cannot get into it.  Last night we watched Julie and Julia on Pay-Per-View..  Here's what I thought. 

Meryl Streep comes as close as anyone could  I suppose, with the exception of Dan Aykroyd, to capturing Julia Childs.  "Julie," played by Amy Adams,  is Julie Powell, who parlayed her Blog,  The Julie/Julia Project into a book and this movie.   Despite director Nora Ephron indulging herself by making the left's favorite bogeyman, Sen. Joe McCarthy, a sub plot, I liked the movie a lot.  I can't put my finger on what it was lacking, but something keeps it from getting 5 stars.  I 'll go with 3½. 

At the film's conclusion, MoSup, who last tasted wine at a Sunday Mass before the flu fright, suggested that a bottle of wine and some French bread- with butter (not a margarine substitute!) would be appropriate.  So we did that.  The movie has that kind of effect on you. 


As an aside, Curmudgeonly & Skeptical would make a wonderful movie, don't you think?  Ahem. I would be played by ... I can't think of his name.  Crap.


10 comments:

BlogDog said...

Amy Adams is just so delicious. But the idea that some bim can make a life out of cooking someone else's recipes (and by life I mean blog, book and movie) just irks hell out of me.
Look at MEEEE! I'm living someone else's lifeeee!

Am I just terminally jaundiced or whizzed that I didn't think of the idea myself? Probably a little from column A and a lot from column B.

I'd prefer to see the book and movie called "The Schlong Cookbook and Barn Army Training Manual."

Alear said...

I've always pictured you as a Cary Grant sort of guy.

Since you've got netflix, you want to stream it in. I used to jack it off the 'puter, but this Samsung blue rayer does the same thing. Nowadays, I hardly ever bother with putting a disc in. Side note: I was in Peace Corps with the owner of Netflix. Good quality guy, even if a Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Julia was an original, the rest of them are not. Mastering the Art of French Cooking DID change the world.

Oh, since Roy Scheider is dead, I'm stumped. Maybe Nicholson.

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Damn Casca, you nailed it (sort of)
Christian Slater was who I was trying to remember. He's me.

Anonymous said...

Tom Selleck. Carrying a Thompson sub-machine gun. That's how I picture Roger. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

H

franco (farfalline) fellini said...

Rutger Hauer.

I'd be played by Orlando Bloom.

Anonymous said...

Liam Nielsen , from "Taken". He's almost a modern day John Wayne ! smibsid

Anonymous said...

Save the liver!
Tim

B....... said...

Rodge - Always appreciate your movie recommendations. Julie & Julia added to my queue. Merci vrai roi de la France.....

Walt said...

Just watched the Beeb's Cranford this weekend. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It's a good'un.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.