Thursday, January 28, 2010

pensions

 Today's supposition

Boned Jello


 Heard in the O Club.   Bear in mind, I was on my 7th Manhattan, and transfixed by the bartender.
3dc  Pappy .. I give up... I speak a different language....

A friend was a United Pilot. He retired a United Pilot on a United Pension...
United went bankrupt...
The bankruptcy judge assigned all the money in his and other retired workers and pilots to the creditors of United.
The workers and pilots were left with NO pension. Just Social Security...

I am say... the same could happen to government pensions.. they don't have to be covered...

I am not saying should. I am saying there is precedence.

My argument is: "are government workers protected more by the government then any private workers?"
If that is the case (and it seems to be)
then it's not a government Of,By and For the People rather more something like the Pak. ISI.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually contemplating that question requires a black belt in naivete. It is their monopoly game, not yours.

MCPO Airdale said...

Military pensions have to be approved, yearly in the budget. Not sure about civilians, but imagine it is the same.

Anonymous said...

I hope they were "perfect" manhattans, served up with a twist.

Casca

El Jefe said...

That reminds me: I've got a bottle of George T. Stagg Bourbon and one of Sazerac Rye that I've got to pick up for ya! Well, when I get back off this trip to Bahrain.

Anonymous said...

Rollover not working Boss ! smibsid

Wabano said...

Patience my ass, I'll live to see the
Civil Self-Servants see all their
unfunded pensions nullified...let
them live on social security
like the rest of us!

WE ARE STILL A MAJORITY!!!

Anonymous said...

Public pension plans are in trouble all over the US. A lot of municipalities are going to have to seriously consider bankruptcy to get out from under those obligations. It's already happened in California.

If they ever owned up to the size of the problem New Jersey would have to declare itself insolvent.

And for those that claim taxing power is infinite, it's not - there is a point at which businesses and people will simply up and leave.

.

Anonymous said...

The United pilots belonged to the wrong union. Had they been UAW instead of AFL/CIO, they would have had their pension protected by Uncle, just like GM. Idiots.
OTOH, I vote for NO pension for politicians, NO benefits, NO money for 'staff', and NO flights to the home district on the Guvmint dime.
WTF, they work for US!!! They should not be treated like royalty, nor a "ruling class".
Maybe if we treat politicians as Franklin wanted to treat the poor, 'make them uncomfortable', then we'll get some real AMATEUR politicians.
tomw

Anonymous said...

I work for the State and our contributions are adjusted yearly based on the health of the overall stash. I'm paying 9.2% right now so in my case this is not a gift from the taxpayers.

DougM said...

Congress can stop my military pension at any time. There is no contract on their side, only on mine. I have to keep a uniform hangin' in the closet for possible re-activation.
Of course, if they stop it, I may have to re-evaluate my interpretation of the phrase "All enemies, foreign and domestic." Just sayin'.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.