Thursday, February 25, 2010

Get out of my end time MoFo

Hands off my Meds
 
Bruce Tower has prostate cancer.  He wanted to take a drug that showed promise against his cancer, but the FDA would not allow it.  One bureaucrat told him the government was protecting him from dangerous side effects.  Tower’s outraged response was: “Side effects, who cares? Every treatment I’ve had I’ve suffered from side-effects. If I’m terminal it should be my option to endure any side-effects.” - John Stossel


John Stossel's position here, I'll wager, is one that resonates +++ with the body politic.   Speaking out of hand, I think the Thalidomide scare of the 1960's served to cause people to plead for stronger regulatory clout from the gummint.  Enter David Kessler; FDA commissar under Bush 41 and Slick.  Kessler is the poster boy for the unctuous power grabbing bureaucrat that's become the rule in Washington.  He lobbied hard for the  power to use his position to ban, ad hoc,  the use of tobacco, and by extension anything else he found repulsive.  That spirit pervades the current administration.  The solution of course is more firing squads, figuratively speaking of course. 

2 comments:

pdwalker said...

...of course.

badfrog said...

You can get just about anything in Mexico. Most meds are over the counter:my asthma meds, tramadol, diclofenac, cough meds, etc. all over the counter. The only exceptions I've found are actual narcotics, quaaludes, amphetamines, etc. that are commonly abused, AND those are now technically legal in small user friendly amounts. You just can't buy them in stores.

There is a huge chain of knockoff pharmacies called Dr. Simi (Dr. Similares, google it in Wikipedia) that sells it's own manufactured meds at a steep discount, all over the counter. There is at least one in every town in Mexico of over 10,000, usually several. No scrip needed.

If you see a physician and he gives you a prescription, you take it in so they know what you need, they give you the meds, and then GIVE BACK your scrip so you can use it next time.

The govt doesn't really care if you want to import experimental drugs either. The only hitch is that you can't sue anyone if there is a problem.

I was traveling by train between Ciudad Chihuahua and Los Mochis with my brother, an attorney who does some business in Mexico. We were sitting on the platform between cars because some A-hole was actually smoking in the first class cabin (no longer allowed, even in Mexico, everyone, both Mexicans and touristas gave him a ration and he didn't do it again, but still. Anyway, there was only a small rail to keep us from falling off, and my brother cautioned me to be careful, I made some smart remark about suing the train company if I fell off. He laughed and said the only way I would have a lawsuit would be to prove that the president of the train company had personally thrown me off.

My Mexican Dr trained and practiced in the US. He says that his insurance premiums are less than one tenth what they were up here. An office visit is US$35.00.

On the other hand, you have to exercise some responsibility.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.