Monday, February 22, 2010

Pick one cookbook

Please answer:
If you could have only one cookbook,
which one would it be? Thanks!
 Merrily

I gave this careful consideration. My first thought was to go high fa-luting and say "Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 Volume Set), "  except I don't own it, and never read it (which I'm sure is to my discredit as a world famous chef wannabe).  I went over to the cookbook shelf in the liberry, and perused what must be 100 titles that we've collected over the years.  From these, I selected two for consideration:
Home&Garden
Better Home & Garden Cookbook
The Better Homes NEW COOKBOOK is the one MoSup brought into  marriage.  I had owned just one in my life to that point, The Drinking Man's Diet.  Not that I needed a diet.  My bachelor regimen consisted of working all day, drinking and carousing all night, doing the Watusi at J.O.P.A., or the Fort Story O Club, and occasionally sleeping. Keeps a man fit.

Anyway, The BH&G is an excellent cookbook, with recipes for damned near anything American.  Hell, even political progressives will be happy to find a Russian  Borsch recipe (p. 294). 

But, I didn't choose this as my one cookbook.
HE WINNER
cookbiik- escoffier

I chose the The Escoffier Cook Book A guide to the Fine art of French Cuisine.  And not because I'm putting on airs.  This is the translation of Escoffier's original book, first published in 1903.  When I read Merrily's request, I immediately thought survival, else why would I have but one cookbook, n'est-ce pas? And that's where this book shines.  When Escoffier discusses fuel for the grill, he's not talking about propane. 

cookbiik- escoffier

The cook is advised when to move the pudding to the cooler coals.  There is not a single reference to Jello, condensed milk, or packaged anything.  With this cookbook, a nice Winchester Model 1886, and an iron skillet, you'll do nicely.  Well, your mileage may differ. If memory serves there's a colonist's cookbook out there, but I don't own it. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have BH&G as well as the Betty Crocker. All of the basics are well covered. And written at a level of the novice. (my wife and I divided duties years ago and I HATE washing dishes.) Now I have another to look for. And I'm impressed with your knowledge of J.O.P.A.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Bell's Best, a cookbook published in the south back in the 1980's. Not only have we not found any bad recipes in the book yet, we haven't found any that are less than scrumptious. The book might be found at book collector sites, maybe on eBay. My wife's copy is in tatters, but still manages to please. drummermanrick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

J.O.P.A. was a DC candy store. Met Linda Bird during a Willard Hotel session. Not that she was candy, but hey.

MoFiZiX Gr4FiX said...

Eat What You Want & Die Like a Man - Steven H. Graham

John said...

I have all three: Betty Crocker, Art of French Cooking and Escoffier and all are very fine (out of a collection of 200+ cookbooks), but if I had to pick just one for everyday cooking it would be the two-volume Joy of Cooking, which has simple, practical recipes for almost every standard western dish.

Anonymous said...

Back in the day circa '60s-'70s it was Betty Crocker, but I never liked the "can of cream of....soup" stuff. yuck! Although I learned the most by watching Julia Child, Galloping Gourmet, and Jacques Peppin. Last week I purchased two new books (same authors): The Flavor Bible; and What to Drink with What you Eat, by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg. Why? When wanting to personalize cooking, it seems essential to understand which spices enhance foods most. I love adding a dash of whatever asks the palate, "mmm... what is that great back flavor?"

GREAT eamil MERRILY!
Juice

Anonymous said...

Here's a favorite: "The White House Cookbook" published in 1887 w/ recipes from 1st Ladies up til then. Of course, it calls for crocks, 50 pound bags, barrels (of oysters), and wood stove cooking, but if you need to plan a State Dinner for about 1200 in the neighborhood, it's indispensable. Also - home remedies in the back part with my favorite toilet item recipe: Ox Marrow Pomade for the hair. I guess the old broads swooned over those dapper gents w/ hair slicker than a beaver's ass. Ox marrow prolly smelled like a beaver's ass after a couple a days, too.
Angus - Barn Army Sous-Chef

Anonymous said...

River Road Recipes,

(American "French") Cajun food some packaged ingredients but my old standby.
george

Merrily said...

Thank you guys SO much! and keep 'em coming. The answers are so interesting, and I can't wait to research everyone's choices.

Anonymous said...

a beaver's ass...Pelosi comes to mind...Sorry but that is what happened.

badfrog101 said...

I'll go with the Joy of Cooking as well, having owned over fifty cookbooks at one point plus several years worth of Gourmet and Bon Appetite magazines.

I have gotten rid of all but seven cookbooks, because SOAR, the searchable online archive of recipes, has everything anyone will ever need. Just google it and check it out. Over 70,000 recipes.

Anonymous said...

Fannie Farmer is a great basic cookbook. No California foo-foo crap. tells you how to buy things too.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 5:37PM, Fannie Farmer! Holy Smokes I've all but forgotten that name. You're the bomb for reminding me. AND, BTW, books do not fail when the 'net is down or the power is off. TRKOF, Thanks for posting this. The internet can never match the tactile pleasure of turning pages in a book. :-]
Juice

Timbeaux said...

River Roads II

Alear said...

The Joy of Cooking for me also. Came in very handy in Africa. I still fondly recall the recipe for cheese bread.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.