Friday, March 19, 2010

Davy Crockett - RIP

Not Yours To Give

The people have delegated to Congress, by the Constitution, the power to do certain things. To do these, it is authorized to collect and pay moneys, and for nothing else. Everything beyond this is usurpation, and a violation of the Constitution ... It is a precedent fraught with danger to the country, for when Congress once begins to stretch its power beyond the limits of the Constitution, there is no limit to it, and no security for the people.


Money with them is nothing but trash when it is to come out of the people. But it is the one great thing for which most of them are striving, and many of them sacrifice honor, integrity, and justice to obtain it.


Col David Crockett, US Rep Tenn, on Congress' spending habits.

RIP DAVY

2 comments:

Chuck Martel said...

Here is the purported full text of "Not Yours to Give".

http://fee.org/library/books/not-yours-to-give-2/

Anonymous said...

A gentleman from the Nacogdoches, in Texas, informs us that, whilst there, he dined in public with Col. Crockett, who had just arrived from Tennessee. The old bear-hunter, on being toasted, made a speech to the Texians, replete with his usual dry humour. He began nearly in this style: “I am told, gentlemen, that, when a stranger, like myself, arrives among you, the first inquiry is—what brought him here? To satisfy your curiosity at once as to myself, I will tell you all about it. I was for some years a Member of Congress. In my last canvass, I told the people of my District, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithful as I had done; but, if not, they might go to hell and I would go to Texas. I was beaten, gentlemen, and here I am.” The roar of applause was like a thunder-burst.

Casca

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.