Friday, March 12, 2010

Let My Toons Go!

Politically Correct Tom & Jerry
rewriting history

 All Political Correctness does is define new classes of victim hood, and reasons for grievance.  I despise it in any form.  Tom & Jerry cartoons seem to have especially felt the wrath of public scolds.  The "Mammy maid" character appeared in many T&J toons.  During the purge, Black actress Lillian Randolph’s voice was replaced by White actress June Foray.  Since the studios  kept pictures and sound reels separately, the voice sometimes didn’t match up the correct Tom & Jerry version when the white maid spoke with Mammy’s voice.  This is all quite insane.  I've gathered some examples below.  Here's some commentary.

Puss Gets the Boot" (10 Feb 1940) Puss Gets the Boot" (Re-engineered)
Mammy's voice was redubbed fairly early on (before they started using the white maid voice), in the original, Mammy says "O-W-T...Out!" & later in the cartoon “O-U-W-T…Out! In the edited version, she spells it correctly ("O-U-T").
Here's more

Puss N' Toots (original version)


Yankee Doodle Mouse (1943)

Yankee Doodle Mouse (reissued version)
Boned Jello
Boned Jello
Boned Jello
After Jerry climbs the washboard, Mammy looks for a burgler and is attacked by Tom, all these shots get removed.
The scene on the record player has a section removed from the middle.
The part where Jerry gets a tail full of record needles and a record lands on Tom's head making him look Chinese, followed by Jerry mocking Tom is hacked out.
Tom as a “blackface flower” after an exploding teapot is often removed.

6 comments:

pdwalker said...

This is something that Orwell didn't anticipate. That people and companies would censor and rewrite history themselves.

Who needs an oppressive government to do it, when you have so many volunteers instead?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Excelllent!

Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

The change didn't happen that long ago. I used to sit up Saturday mornings and watch blocks of T&J and Looney Toons. The Japanese Gremlin, Mammy, Hitler, Speedy Gonzalez and all of them, were still in those shows. When I watch now, I notice, they aint.

I also remember seeing them in their entirety on the "Bob Clampett Show" late nights.

Amazing cartoons, should have went untouched.

badfrog said...

I grew up in Colorado, and every third person I knew was a Chicano. I worked with them, worked for them, and had them working for me. I almost married one.

Almost exclusively, their favorite cartoon character was Speedy Gonzales. I also lived there for a while; my family still has property in Sonora (and I am retiring there as of Sunday) and by far the favorite cartoons were those featuring Pablo, a little Mexican boy always getting into and out of trouble, much like any American sitcom only in Mexico. These were Warner Bros. productions. I haven't noticed them lately, but then I almost never watch TV anymore. Most Mexicans I know are pretty much mystified by the PC ideas.

Anonymous said...

Just try & find Song of the South on DVD...
A great story ....
RAK

Anonymous said...

Likewise, try find a Blacques Jacques Shellacques from Mon'real cartoon.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.