Friday, July 30, 2010

Virus

So We May Survive!

Boned Jello
THEN right after I got a virus (I'm using my other computer). What happened, I thought I updated my Firefox and voila, it asks me to update Adobe Flash - quite common. Shortly I realize a virus was implanted on my computer and I go into save my computer mode.

Using computer #2, I find out more about the virus http://www.techjaws.com/security-tool-installs-as-a-firefox-and-flash-update/ very new virus. Anyways, I contacted Microsoft (googled: Micorsoft XP and Paid Support) and they got me to safe mode and I'm running their free safety scanner in safe mode  http://safety.live.com  - it's taking a few hours and they're calling me tomorrow.

NOTE: This virus is insidious. Cannot do a darn thing, it overtakes.

Marc M

Thanks Marc, I ran it all night and it was still going this morning (in background).  I assume I was clean.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEah, I'm seeing a little window popping up on a lot of the blogs I follow that says that basically this blog requires registration; and then asks for your user name and password. I ignore the thing and next time I access that blog it's not there.
Suspect a rat on the intarweb...

Anonymous said...

All I see is a blank box...

'course, I run a Mac....
[and I'm no Master of Electrons, neither]

e~C

'wayeworm" ??!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Tada! The answer is safe mode, administrator and download the free program Malwarebytes. And there there is a difference between a virus and malware. So virus protection might not work. As for my Mac, I had just spent the night before loading and unloading Flash for Firefox. Half my flash objects fail to appear. What I found is that Firefox 3.6 is not supported OS X 10.4, a PowerPC Mac. Go figure.
marc m

Arthur said...

Malwarebytes has a bad rep for 'finding' viruses your computer doesn't have then trying to sell you their 'fix'.

JMcD said...

"Hot Damn!...Barn Army velour!...new uniforms!...Oh boy!...Oh.........Huh?....Valour?
.....Oh.............Dang.

Anonymous said...

Weird, Arthur. Never heard of that at all. Malwarebytes has saved many computers for me. Found and cleaned for free many serious bugaboos that no other software would find.

--Anon2112

Steve In Tulsa said...

I enjoy the free Microsoft Security Essentials. It is great. Of course, I also do not ever let random web sights 'scan' my computer. I start up Task Manager and kill the browser. No problem. Just do not accept candy from strangers.

JMcD said...

In the last week my computer was getting so slow and awkward that I became desperate and I went to "add & delete" and removed Windows Silverlight and a few of the very recent updates........
Everything (for the moment), back to normal.

rbrandt said...

Thanks, Sarge - or whatever your rank is Rodger - taking one for the better of us. You don't hold the title of the Real King of France in the Barn Army,do you?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

No, I'm "Teh Him" :)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.