Thursday, August 05, 2010

poetry and stuff

Dead English Poet Update

Most of us have read a poem titled "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" by Christopher Marlowe. Pretty standard stuff for English Lit and Fine Arts majors. Used to be ubiquitous in AP and Honors English classes in most high schools, too. Easy to Google if you don't remember it or never read it.

Well, I heard someone quoting it this afternoon while I was trying to take a nap during a pleasant afternoon rain.  Naturally I decided to update the silly thing. Here's my modern version (one extra stanza . . . just COULDN'T leave out Islam, now could I):

Boned Jello
    The Pompous Congressman to His Constituent

    Come vote for me for goodness' sake
    That I might all the taxes take
    To spend on trips and luxuries
    In ways you might call fantasies.

    And I will sit left of the aisle
    To doze and harumph all the while
    The sham assemblage congregates
    And pork and kickback legislates. [continueed]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! The Real Poet of France.
.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.