Saturday, August 07, 2010

Slick Times

Stripes

Boned Jello
"Slick Times," 1993

While I was surfing through ancient archives yesterday I came across this picture.  It's significance to me is this.

I was driving around in upstate New York in 1993.  The radio show I was listening to had as a guest a guy starting a new magazine, "Slick Times."  I had by that time decided Bill Clinton's presidency was going to be a bad experience,  and was delighted to find any narrative written about him that wasn't sycophantic puffery.  I subscribed. I think the cost was $18 for four issues. This is a picture from the first issue, and the first I ever saved on a computer, other than family stuff.  The original of this picture was of Slick's visit to the troops in Korea ( I think).  The stripe was an obvious reference to his draft evasion, but also to the troops being disarmed in the areas he visited, including along the DMZ.  I'm not making that up.  If I knew then what I know now, I might today be a Bahamian citizen.

6 comments:

DougM said...

Beware hindsight.
Along that path lies madness.

Rodge, during the Winters of '92/93 & '93/94 I was actually in the Bahamas living onboard my humble boat near Georgetown. After retiring, I sold-up and went sailing for a few years. I'd say that being a Bahamian citizen is okay, if you bring your own money.

An ignorant dickweed said...

I dislike when people use the term "upstate New York" meaning anywhere in that huge state outside of New York city. So where in New York state were you traveling? Buffalo? Plattsburgh? Syracuse? Adirondacks? Albany? Binghamton?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I was scheduled to crew on the Annapolis-Bahama race a few times, but something at work always interfered. And, yeah, I understand that getting Bahamian citizenship today requires a AAA S&P rating.

There was a time when I fancied me and the Mrs doing a lengthy sail, but the boats that catch my eye today all have air, washer and dryer, and 46" television.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

-ignorant dickweed -

let me find my time-traveler for 1993 and I'll get back to you.

Chris in NC said...

Sadly, I miss Bill. He may not have been much of a president but he was a lot more fun that the last 2 were...

Rodger the Real King of France said...

' He may not have been much of a president ... "

GAH! Bill Clinton was responsible for ripping the nation's moral fabric off the walls. Having put him in office, the media felt obligated to defend his every criminal misstep. He taught them lessons that ultimately led to a "President Obama." Namely, simply deny everything and enough reasonable doubt will be created to charge that whistle blowers were "Right-wing Clinton Haters." Had someone strangled this man in his crib ... well, someone just like him would have taken his place, so the answer was to have nuked Woodstock.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.