Thursday, September 09, 2010

Bill Murray did not write this story


    
Bill Murray did not write this story



1:30 I begin the walk to the Alamodome, somehow managing to stuff the "Traveler" and 11 cans of  beer into my pants.

1:47 I am in line surrounded by Nebraska fans. They are taunting me. I am taunting back, still certain that we are going to kick the shit out of Nebraska. I decide to challenge a particularly vocal Nebraska fan to play what I now call and will forever be remembered as "Cell-Phone Flop Out." Remember flop out for a dollar? The rules are similar. I tell this Nebraska jackass that if he's so confident in his team, he should "flop out" his cell phone RIGHT NOW and make plane reservations to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. And then I spoke these memorable words: "And not those damn refundable tickets, either! You request those non-refundable, non-transferrable sons-of-bitches!" He backs down. He is unworthy. I call Southwest Airlines and buy two tickets to Phoenix, non-refundable and non-transferrable. Price: $712. He is humbled. He lowers his head in shame. I raise my cell phone in triumph to the cheers of hundreds of Texas fans. I am KING and these are my subjects. I distribute the 11 beers in my pants to the cheering masses. I RULE the pre-game kingdom.



[continued]
TimW

7 comments:

JMcD said...

I think I remember him.
Ain't he the guy who said, quote:
"I say we should all be athletic supporters!"

Vote for Pedro said...

I got a kick out of the Zima reference. Wikipedia has the whole story if you care, but suffice it to say that they tried marketing Zima every which way, to every possible market segment, and always failed.

What the marketing geniuses never seemed to grasp was that Zima tasted like shit. What's truly amazing is that having devised the worst-tasting alcoholic beverage ever, they managed to top it with something called Zima Gold. Mere words cannot describe how impossibly awful Zima Gold was.

Anonymous said...

Was that Bluto remembering an adventure cut from Animal House?
Seriously, changing a few proper nouns would make much of that biographical for me. Scary.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

like the time I woke up in a stall in the woman's bathroom of a bootleg Hard rock Cafe in Germany.
It was broad daylight and the cleaning lady was pissed!

Anonymous said...

I was living in Dallas when I first read this story (about 10 or 11 years ago) and laughed my ass off back then. Still funny. I remember showing it to a colleague who attended UT in Austin and he said, yeah, that story is pretty accurate for some of their games.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

It resonated with me, as it evidently does with others, because if you change Texas to "Maryland," and Nebraska to "Penn State," that guy is me.

JMcD said...

Heck...they got one over there.

British Athletics Supporters Club

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.