Sunday, October 10, 2010

Barbara Boxer's panic

No soft lens for you Boxer
If Fiorina beats Boxer, liberalism will suffer a grievous defeat
You know, like, I don’t want to go back to the days when thousands of people died every day because they had no insurance.

Temporary sgt.I think I can feel Boxer's angst over losing royalty status.  In Army basic training at Fort Knox,  I was designated "Platoon Guide" by virtue of having taken ROTC in college.  P-guides were brevetted (rank without the pay) E-3 sergeants, and wore that rank on an arm device. We had a good deal of power within the platoon.  I decided who to send on crap details; who cleaned the latrines;  who didn't get a weekend pass, etc.  On the plus side,  I was excused from all details, and had access to the squad room bunk, which I declined.   Here's the  the pertinent part. 

After graduating from basic, everyone spent one last night before heading home.  Sargeant stripes were handed in, and for all practical purposes nobody was in charge.  The first indication of possible peril ahead came when the real platoon sargeant held our last formation (before taking off for his usual weekend of drunken revelry in Louisville).

" I know some of you think this is your opportunity to get even, but any person who attacks the platoon guide will be recycled and go through basic training again, without leave."

Before leaving he called me into his office.  Gave me the key and advised that I lock myself  in that squad room for the night.  Holy S_it! I asked some or my friends whether they thought I was going to get the crap kicked out of me, and they said not that we know - but you know that such-and-such clique was aways giving you trouble.  In the end I stayed in my bunk over Bernie Schwartz, a German national who lived in Canada but had a VW repair business in Niagara Falls NY so got drafted into the US Army (he also  received a draft notice from the German army shortly after our basic began).  Morning came, and nobody had paid much attention to me at all.  There had been some commotion  at the fourth platoon.  I heard the the platoon guide had the living crap beat out of him; pillow case over his head.  He really was an asshole though. How about you Barby?  Do your people really love and respect you?  Without your tiara?
 

3 comments:

lip said...

I dunno, I got caught smuggling smokes, thus my brief stint as a brevetted Platoon guide ended.. But in 1986, 5 bucks a pack great profit!

DougM said...

Personlly, I think she's gettin' a promotion, you know, goin' from a senator to a madam.

Anonymous said...

Ha. My last night as Platoon Guide, several of us had been down to the beer garden and I came back to the barracks drunk as a loon, uncertain of my own name and barely navigating under my own power. One of the platoon shitheads decided that was a golden opportunity to settle up for him being a shithead, so he shoved me into the latrine and announced he was gonna whup my ass, and threw the first punch. And drunk as I was, I STILL whupped his worthless little ass.

I was told the next morning it was hilarious, me swinging mostly blind, and him trying to disengage hisself from somewhat of an underestimation, with nobody offering to help him with his extraction. I just wish I could remember most of it.

H

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.