Sunday, October 17, 2010

STROKE PSA

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Couric Brain Scan
Couric Brain Scan

Received this in an e-mail from a friend, and thought it worth passing on.  Might save a life.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

 
Thank  God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR  . Read and Learn!

  Sometimes symptoms of a  stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately,  the lack of awareness spells disaster. The  stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage  when people nearby fail to recognize the  symptoms of a stroke.

  Now doctors say a  bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three  simple questions:

S  *Ask  the individual to SMILE.

T  *Ask  the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE  (Coherently)

(i.e. It is sunny out  today.)

R  *Ask  him or her to RAISE BOTH  ARMS.

  If  he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these  tasks, call emergency number immediately  and describe the symptoms to the  dispatcher.

  New  Sign o f a Stroke -------- Stick out Your  Tongue

  NOTE:  Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the  person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue  is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the  other,   that is  also an indication of a  stroke.

Frank&Evvy

8 comments:

Ralph Gizzip said...

If they really did a brain scan on Perky Katie Couric they wouldn't find a thing.

Anonymous said...

Ralph;
It was done in conjunction with her colonoscopy. Needless to say they found her brain, though it was round and brown.
Bart

T word bilye huh

Anonymous said...

This happened to me just one month ago. Was sitting on the crapper and my train of thought just hit a wall. Hard to describe it, didn't feel a thing. I mumbled "WHOA" and the voice sounded loud, in mono, and ten feet behind me. "Oh I'm having something...". Went to do the "paper work" and my right arm was no longer in my control. "Sumbich, I'm gonna die on the crapper like Elvis, hey at least I'm not reading Hustler".

Went in and got the wife, she had read a similar article, had me do all of this and boy the ER people were impressed with her. I could talk, but couldn't put the words together to make the sentence. Put my pants on and by the time the medics arrived in 5 minutes the symptoms were subsiding. My brain was cleared of any damage, called it an unknown TIA. I have a very strange headache now. The hospital stay was $52,000, glad I have insurance. I remember thinking to myself, you have two hours to treat a stroke. Under Obama care I'm in a nursing home the rest of my life. The sky is a little bluer and I need to fish a lot more. I'm 44 y/o, getting old ain't like the brochure.

Anymouse

Anonymous said...

How to see the signs of a stroke: Watch your friends and neighbors when they open their tax bills if the mess doesn't get fixed by January....
;-)

CDR J said...

In other words, they examined Katie Couric's head and found nothing.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are ok there anymouse.
Chuck from Tacoma

toadold said...

"What's that you say Lassie? You found Timmy's Gerbil and it is alive and trapped in......TIMMY JUST WHAT HAVE YOU AND AUNTY KATE BEEN DOING ?!"

Peter said...

That smile, raise arms, speak and stick out my tongue saved me when I had my stroke at age 58, five years ago. When my wife ran me through that, the next think I knew I was on my way to the hospital. The quick action saved me from far more serious damage.

Smile, raise arms, speak and tongue. Learn it, love it and share it. The brain it saves might be yours or someone you love.

Don't bother teaching it to leftists, though. They're already brain dead.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.