Saturday, October 23, 2010

Two Movies

The Man Who Wasn't There
The Maid

Boned Jello

I'm hot and cold on watching movies; right now I'm hot. Watched The Man Who Wasn't There yesterday, a film I'd never heard of!  A Coen brother's film, no less. With Billy Bob and Frances McDormand!  Sheesh.  I can see how some will find it too slow paced,  but I was spell- bound. Reminded me of  Body Heat in many ways, besides being in B&W.

The Maid is set (I think) in Argentina -  Spanish language and subtitled anyway.  "Comedic drama" is not the first description that comes to mind; not even "dark comedy,"though that'll  do.  The maid made me think of  what Beverly Sutphin ( Serial Mom) may have been like, before she really lost control.  Some overwrought Nimrod, of the type who still likes Obama's compassion no doubt, complained about animal cruelty; there is none. Also noteworthy, just about every adult is shown full frontal without having caused in me so much as a twitch (not that I ever would have been moved by dangles).  All in all, I give it the 3.7 that NetFlix predicted for Man Who Wasn't There, with the Coen's getting the  4.0.  I continue to be impressed over how accurately NetFlix is in suggesting what I'll like.  Kind of scary, actually.  Makes me think of a rat cage over my head.

Both movies are Instant Watch, which I did using ROKU, a device I still think is the best Woot thing I ever purchased.  ROKU is also adding HULU, so there's that; and the price looks like it's now in the $50 range.  Tell us what you think.


7 comments:

Roger von Oech said...

I loved "The Man Who Wasn't There." The reason it isn't better known is that it came out in the fall of 2001 right after 9/11 and the anthrax scare.

A lot of good movies (Zoolander, for example) and books got washed out, that is, their marketing plans fell apart because the public's attention was elsewhere. FYI: James Gandolfini and a young Scarlet Johanson (sp?) are also in it.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Jon Polito too. What a cast Gandolfini was surprisingly good (I tuned him out after he jumped on the anti-Bush, pro Obama bandwagon); Scarlett - totally unexpected element there!)

Alear said...

Oh I'll definitely watch the Coen movie, didn't even know it existed. I plopped The Maid into the queue, but it does seem every time I want to read a movie, I pull out my Kindle.

Seeing Netflix on the Samsung blu-ray from 2 years ago, streams it in well. Also gets pandora, got two excellent channels set up there. Iggy Pop playing now (that guy is a whole lot smarter than you think).

badanov said...

I just subscribed to Netflix and my first film was La ley de Herodes an excellent Mexican black comedy that tears the Mexican PRI a new one; highly recommended. And we just finished The Story of Qiu Ju a Chinese film.

I like Netflix because of its foreign film selection.

Unknown said...

I can't think of a movie with Billy Bob Thornton in it that wasn't, at least, thought provoking if not down-right good.

And if I may suggest one it would be "U Turn". It came out in 1997.
BBT isn't the main star but his character is well done. And if you have a twisted sense of humor and a dislike of Sean Penn you might injure yourself from laughing and wincing at the same time.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Bad ... I'm with you re foreign film. I put those two on my list. Thanks.

Juice said...

Speaking of barbers, The Barber, was a good movie with Malcolm McDowell. Not a foreign film.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.