Monday, October 04, 2010

Waste Ink Reservoir

Resevoir Hogs

I expected this guy's dirty little secret  would be how the ink jet printer industry forces new ink cartridge sales by arbitrarily "announcing" that you're out of ink,  and disallowing more printing until you comply with a new cartridge.  Bastids. But no.  This guy seemingly found something I'd never heard about: the Waste Ink Reservoir.  However, the guy won't tell you the manufacturer of his printer because, "they're all the same."  He then ends by saying, "this is good information to have before you make your next printer decision."  Uh ... if they're all the same ... ?  I trust people in comments will further elucidate. By the bye, I don't replace ink anymore.  I replace the printer.  It's cheaper.



7 comments:

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

I used to buy generic cartridges online for about 1/3 to 1/5 of the price of the OEM. Now, I noticed my old supplier doesn't carry anything but the super expensive OEM cartridges now.

No matter.. I switched to a color laser. The prices came down on them to where it wasn't worth buying an inkjet.

TimO said...

The only reason I stick with ink-jets and dont go to a color laser is printing on CDs/DVDs.

Otherwise you're right. The photo quality of cheap color lasers is up to where right now it makes them a better deal and most of them have ethernet ports so you can share them across your home network.

Kristophr said...

Ink Jets are fine for occasional print jobs during home use.

If you print a lot, and have a home business or some such, get a laser printer.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for an business: make a printer that uses multiple cartridges honestly. Ya could make more money than Geitner.

*taps finger*
I'm waiting!

e~C

Nelson said...

I've got an older Epson Color Stylus that doesn't stop when the ink "runs out", so I can print and print until it's actually gone. Besides, it's usually the printer control software or the driver that does the stopping, not the printer itself. As I don't run Windows, I don't have that problem.

DougM said...

Sort of like a self-sharpening wood pencil, eh?
Oh, and then there's those mechanical pencils that don't let you use all the lead. Man, I have a box full of short leads left over from mechanical drawing class and a couple of Summer and part-time jobs as a draftsman forty-odd years ago; what a ripoff!

blindshooter said...

Most lasers have a waste containment area near the OPC(s). Lots of image units that are replaced are fine, just the waste container is full. The larger machines have waste containers that can be dumped or replaced but the small ones don't.
So its not just the ink jets that waste your money.

Blindshooter(old printer tech)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.