Wednesday, November 10, 2010

French Erotica & Popcorn

Three French Movies

Three French Erotic Romances

Over the weekend NetFlix (via ROKU) served up suggestions from a category called "Erotic French Romance."   I do like foreign film, and especially those from France if it's not a comedy. I began with "Ma mère."          HFS! 

[I digress here] I know that European film makers are quite a bit looser in their approach to sex than we.  For instance,  the acclaimed Italian epic 1900, directed by  Bernardo Bertolucci , that I borrowed from the library 15-20 years ago,  contained scenes where a grandfather (Burt Lancaster)  is masturbated by an adolescent girl.  Later, two boys have a jerk-off contest graphically depicted. So, when I tell you that I immediately went to Wikipedia after watching Ma mère, it wasn't because I didn't understand what I saw; it was to validate that I did see what I saw. And I had. The incestuous relationship betwixt mother and son is only part of it; this film is downright nasty! Notice where Netflix says 2.0 Our best guess for Rodger?   A tad high.  [Trailer]

Next, I did Exterminating Angels (Les Anges Exterminateurs).  I will describe this as Sex, Lies, and Videotape meets Girls Gone Wild.  Again, Wikipedia has a better intro than Netflix.

The film is about a director named François who embarks on a film project about female eroticism. He meets three struggling actresses who perform sexual acts in front of him. What Francois does not realise is that there is a lot more going on in the girls' heads than other parts and this leads to tragic consequences.[Trailer]

François promises he won't ever touch them, so naturally they all want him to.  There are really no holes barred, ahem.  The sub plot is very French,  and very stupeede.  The only reason to watch this is for the sex, which is sometimes titillating. I give it a 2.0

Lastly, Sex Is Comedy

Sex Is Comedy revolves around a director (Anne Parillaud) and her troubles filming an intimate sex scene between two actors who cannot tolerate each other.[Trailer]

I actually enjoyed, and was fascinated by this biographical film -- outside of the nakedness, or anticipation of it. Of the three, I imagine women would like this one too, perhaps even more than men because it is a woman's movie. And a romance. I give it a 3.5.

Finis


9 comments:

Juice said...

Um, none of those for me, boss. We just watched That Evening Sun with Hal Holbrook. Damn good story. NO sex, Rodge. ;p But all of aging fogies will relate.

DoubleU said...

If you like French films check out Delicatessen. Dark comedy, with subtitles, available on Roku. Post apocalypse type of scenario, the meat eaters eat the vegetarians, the vegetarians eat beans (the currency) Most of the meat eaters don't know they are eating humans. Then there is a love story (read the NetFlix description)

The City of Lost Children by the same director is also good, but much darker, stranger. It isn't available instantly. It does star Ron Perlman.

Chuck Martel said...

The French movies I like are Banlieue 13 and Banlieue 13 Ultimatum. The acting and plot are terrible but the stunts are really cool.

Anonymous said...

"A Boy and His Dog"

Post-apocalyptic journey film starring Don Johnson and a telepathic talking dog, 1975. The payoff at the end is worth the 90 minutes to get there.

Drewfus

Anonymous said...

If you are using netflix to search the world of foreign films as I have, here are three suggestions. 1-French film called Wasabi 2-Japanese film called Departures 3-Norwegian film called O'Horten.
All three very different from Hollywood. Thoscan be creepy.

idahohunter said...

Drewfus, first time ever for anyone to refrence A Boy and His Dog. Thought all this time I was the only one to see it.

Anonymous said...

I liked the short story by Harlan Ellison, better than the film made from it ( A Boy and his Dog ) and there are sequels too. Good end of civilization fun, and who of us never wanted a talking dog? :-)

pdwalker said...

idahohunter.

I always did love a woman with good taste.

BlogDog said...

You might want to check out "Angel A" if you're looking for French films with an attractive lead and some intelligence. In B&W too which is not a bad decision. It's on Netflix.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.