Wednesday, November 10, 2010

RED MEAT CATHARSIS

Looking at meat calms men,
say Canadian scientists

 
I had to laugh when I saw this.  It is true.”- mary

RED MEAT CATHARSIS
  • Cooked red meat has 'calming effect on men'
  • Researchers expected opposite to be true
  • Traces calming effect back to earliest humans
THE sight of cooked red meat has a calming effect on men, Canadian scientists claimed.

Researchers at McGill University studied 82 men and found that the sight of meat appeared to make them significantly less aggressive, they said Monday.

At the start of the research, Frank Kachanoff, the psychologist who led the study, expected humans to react aggressively to the sight of meat - but found the opposite to be true.

He said the calming effect could be traced back to the earliest humans, because cooked meat reminded males of mealtimes. “Our ancestors would be calm as they would be surrounded by friends and family at mealtime,” said Dr Kachanoff. [...]


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I showed this to The Mister. He said, "Bullshit. The picture makes me hungry and pissed I don't have it."

So much for yer high-falootin' Cannadiannn scieence

e~C

Rodger the Real King of France said...

That's amazing. I had the very same reaction to this bit of science.

Anonymous said...

"Dr. Kachanoff?" Anyone besides me see the humor in that name?

Catch enough? To eat for a day or even a week and provide for the women and children who were his responsibility? The result might make a man feel calm?

I don't think we have to go as far back in history as the good doctor seems to think. When I was a kid of some 8 or 9 Summers back in the Mesozoic Era of the early 1950's, I was allowed, even encouraged to go hunting or fishing after school and on weekends. I had a cane pole and a Savage single shot .22 cal. "Game Getter" long barreled pistol and a pocketful of .22 shorts. If I came home with a rabbit or five, some prairie chickens, a mess of perch or the infrequent suicidal pheasant, and the one time I killed a very confused and disoriented antelope, I was made to feel very good about myself and my accomplishments.

So I learned early on how to hunt and fish effectively and what pleasant pastimes hunting and fishing are.

One doesn't need a doctorate in Male Bovine Fecal Obfuscation and Management to figure out why a perfectly broiled steak the size of a toilet seat awaiting his attention on a plate in front of him would make a man feel calm and relaxed.

Seems to me the more highly educated a person is, the less likelihood of recognizing the obvious there will be.

Gerry N.

Alear said...

Cooked red meat certainly calms me, as long as that's the color. I wish waitresses would stop explaining to me what is meant by "rare" and hightail back to the kitchen and explain it to the cooks.

DougM said...

Not "uncovered meat," though, according to my Imam.

Jinglebob said...

Good ol' USA raised beek and ample sex will cure damn near any problem, in a man!

Hmm, the word is ourogam. As in our our orgasm????? Works for me!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.