Friday, December 03, 2010

Coen Brothers Ranked

COEN BROS
I hadn't thought about it before, but ranking Coen Brother's films, like this guy did, is a trial worthy of  Odysseus.  The lazy me would rank them as a fourteen-way tie for first, even though I haven't seen them all (The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty).  If you put a gun to my head however,  my rankings in descending order are to the right. 

Coen Brothers Film Ranking
Scariest Villian EVER!

14. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
13. Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
12. The Ladykillers (2004)
11. Burn After Reading (2008)
10. Miller's Crossing (1990)
9. Blood Simple (1984)
8. A Serious Man (2009)
7. No Country for Old Men (2007)
6. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
5. The Big Lebowski (1998)
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
3. Raising Arizona (1987)
2. Barton Fink (1991)
1. Fargo (1996)

1(Tie)






8 (Tie)




13 (Tie)
( not seen)

No Country for Old Men.
Fargo
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
Blood Simple
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
The Hudsucker Proxy
Miller's Crossing
The Man Who Wasn't There
 Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
By happenstance I watched A Serious Man for the first time just a few days ago.  I really liked it, but was forced to go to Wikipedia to understand a few things afterward, like the significance of the opening scene (it was put in to set the tone).

12 comments:

molonlabe28 said...

The Coen Brothers are spectacular.

I watched A Serious Man for the first time a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Man did the end of No Country make me feel old-Miller's Crossing is such a great gangster movie, the scene with Albert Finny getting away from the assassination was fabulous.

The thing about the Coens is the way they make each scene memorable-how about The Dude getting his head dunked in the toilet(Lemme take another look) or the bleak snow scenes(a bunch)in Fargo

Yeah, I'm waiting for True Grit-Jeff Bridges is one of my favorites.
MM

Anonymous said...

The cranky old man in me just don't cotton to the remaking of True Grit. Some things, ya best leave em be.

Anonymous said...

Bridges plays a great Curmudgeon; e.g. Wild Bill. It'll be edgier than Duke's version.

There's a better movie than The Big Lebowski?

Casca

Colorado Slim said...

Great comments, but somehow you all leave out the best of their movies: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I know it gets slagged for being too commercial, but it's the one of their movies that you could put on endless repeat and I'd never get tired of. Okay, The Big Lebowski never gets old, either.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I have it in 1st place Slim

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

general Coen Bro fan.. but I found Barton Fink unwatchable. I could not stand the main character.

Anonymous said...

Assume Barton Fink is a comedy. Now watch it again. Barton is a riot, in a very dry way.

Esteve said...

"I thought you was a toad."

Anonymous said...

In order to "get" much of the humor in "O Brother," it helps to be from the rural, cultural South. I saw this movie when I was living in exile in New Jersey and I was the only one laughing through half the film.

ChaddinFl

Pedro the Ignorant said...

Disagree, Chad.
I live in Australia, and rarely hear a bad word about "O Brother", even from cultural morons.
It has a universal appeal, methinks.

gadfly said...

In the '90s, I rated Fargo best movie of all times, then along came Oh Brother ... and I found a new #1, despite my personal dislike for Rosemary's baby.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.