Monday, December 27, 2010

Penance

Crime and Punishment

I've been thinking about this since second grade First Communion class.  When you go to confession your penalty (penance) is saying  prayers.  This never made sense to me.  It's like -
  • Murder - Electric Chair;
  • Treason - Firing Squad;
  • Bank Robbery - Leavenworth.
  •  Steal Money From Mom's Purse - 3 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers
It creates an unfortunate association the way I saw it. Who would play with an electric chair for fun? See what I mean? I brought this up in religion class, and the Sister Edna asked what I thought would be more appropriate?  I told her if the priest said, "Say a good Act of Contrition, and for your penance tell Tony Crimaldi he runs like a girl."  Tony Crimaldi later punched me during recess for being philosophical.  Prolly why I can't get through St. Augustine's De civitate dei.  I'm not making that up.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally stopped going to Confession as a teenager when I was getting hammered with Stations of the Cross for my new found liking of girls
MM

toadold said...

"No toadold, we Catholics don't call it confession anymore. It is reconcilliation." "Damn! I can bearly spell confession and now you've messed that up."

Rodger the Real King of France said...

That's another thing toadbold. I wrote an encyclical to John Paul II, titled, "You can't just go changing shit." Like oh, you don't have to eat fish on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of another great joke. 'You were born a cow and raised a cow but now you are a fish.'
Tim

P.S. Rodger, please link to the orange peel candy recipe. Thanks!

leelu said...

...and, thanks for the roll over!

toadold said...

Whoops I should mention that the coversation was with my Sister-in-Law after she had converted my Brother to Cathoiscism. It was a great relief to everybody really, we were afraid he was going to start his own for a tax dodge and money making scheme ala the Scientologist. I'm still a luke warm protestant mainly because I protest everything. "No, toadold you can't come over for the fish fry on Friday. We don't do that any more because.............
Blah, Blah, Blah." Man I thought I was good for fish and chips at least once a month.

Anonymous said...

My Daughter was the lector at the Christmas eve Mass this year ! I helped with the choir , but I must admit there were a few women that caused me to have impure thoughts . I need a confession : ) SMIBSID

Anonymous said...

Melissa, How I love thee...

thoR~
III

Rodger the Real King of France said...

orange candy above

Cheesy said...

I don't know if I would burn in hell for Santa's little helper there, but it would be a damned difficult decision...

Anonymous said...

BTW, y'all DO know that's a rollover, doncha?

AWM

DougM said...

Here, MsMelissa said she'd rather you remembered her this way when headin' off to confession. Good luck!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.