Friday, January 14, 2011

Balls Out: Gary The Tennis Coach

Balls Out: Gary The Tennis Coach:

The "crappy team-new coach-miracle game" movie formula (was there any better than Hoosiers?) is one we're all familiar with, oui?  BALLS OUT is in that genre.  I think we can agree that one's mood going in will have some effect on the movie experience, and my mood last night when I watched Gary  the Tennis Coach was very much balls-out (mo Sup is out of town). 

I enjoyed this movie enormously.  You might too.  There's some scant nipplery, and outrageously filthy language involved, but I don't think this movie works without it.  Srsly. I gave it 4 stars.  That will in some eyes reflect badly on my ability to judge quality; to them, I give it 5 stars. Have fun.

Note:  I watched it on NetFlix Instant, which is almost the best thing in the world.  If  English subtitles were available (my hearing), it would rank with macadamia nuts, pizza, Terps basketball, my grandchildren, and something else I forget,  on the Joie de vivre scale.  You're welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love tennis, will give it a try-you were so right about Netflix Rog, it's cured me of buying stacks of DVDs too-the Australian Open starts in 2 days-YIPPEEEEE!
MM

Anonymous said...

Always thought "The Mighty Ducks" (the original) was the best in the genre... but then, I'm a hockey fan.

I'd name "Miracle," but I'm not sure that quite follows the formula, since it wasn't exactly a crappy team to begin with (just merely a more standard form of underdog)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.