Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pin the tail of the Patriot Act

Pin the tail of the Patriot Act
a game for blind people
Patriotism Means No Questions
"The big thing that we have to do is make sure that anything we're voting for we know darn sure what we're voting for," Rep. Bobby Schilling told The Daily Caller about his "nay" vote on Patriot Act reauthorization. "The way I understood parts of it," he added, "there's some things I have problems with in the Patriot Act."

Speaker John Boehner, on the other hand, has no problems with anything. Perhaps this is why he saw fit to debate reauthorization of the Patriot Act for a grand total of 45 minutes before holding a vote? That's right: Less than an hour to debate Fourth Amendment-violating wiretaps and what Cato's Julian Sanchez calls the "sweeping collection authority" contained in Section 215 that allows foreign intelligence surveillance courts to "compel the production of business records or any other 'tangible thing'"--such as medical records--without justification or appeal.
Because statists have convinced America that challenging the authority of our monarchic executive branch is akin to rooting for al Qaeda in the Olympics.  I'm no statist, but in one of my more stunning lapses of good judgment, I initially backed Bush's initiatives (although hating the name Homeland Security).  Prolly because I had not yet understood the scope of them, but also in knee-jerk defense of President Bush, who was being knee-jerk attacked by people I despise.  I have since become a hard-core adherent of the "Constitution means what it says" crowd.  Unlike  Boehner, and what seems like a majority of Republicans (and 100% of Democrats). The Bobby Schillings are my new heroes.

1 comment:

molonlabe28 said...

I took an online continuing legal education seminar on the Patriot Act a few years ago and had to restrain myself from putting my right fist through my monitor.

Sen. Jeff Sessions said a year or 2ago that "people would rather be safe than free."

Yes, he actually came out and said that.


While that is regrettably the truth with respect to some people who are willing to be subjects, I concur with Emiliano Zapata (to paraphrase him) that I would rather die trying to be free than be subjugated by a government.

His quote, of course, was far more eloquent than my summary ("I'ld rather die on my feet than live (or "keep living" - I forget the exact language) on my knees").

I thought this was a no-brainer.

Talk to a WWII vet about freedom if you can still find one.

Amazing.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.