Wednesday, February 16, 2011

We Were Soldiers Once.  And Young

We Were Soldiers Once.  And Young.


I quit watching Viet Nam movies.  All of them cynical, with thinly veiled tut-tutting that left me more pissed-off than inspired. Oliver Stone values; not John Ford's.   Last Friday, by chance, I stumbled over We Were Soldiers Once, and Young (2002).   I'm the last male in the room who hadn't seen it, I reckon.  I may have read the book, but forget; I've read so many.  We Were Soldiers  stars Mel Gibson as Lt. Col Harold G. Moore, in a  film about the initial battle of  Ia Drang Valley in 1965.  I got caught up in it.  Saturday morning I was compelled to watch it again.
 
 The telegram sequences were poignant; the battle scenes intense, and believable. This is by far the bloodiest war film I've ever seen.  Intense?  The Pop-Tart in my hand at the beginning was uneaten and crumbled as the credits rolled.   There must have been 500 gross of blood packs used in it's making.

The First Bn. of the 7th Air Cav ( once Custer's command) killed 1800 of 4000 Vietnamese soldiers to 72 out of 395  American fatal casualties   It was the American fighting man at his best.   I had a good movie hangover afterwards.  Sense of well-being; I dunno, hope?  Calm?  Pride? Satisfaction and pride?   Unlike every post-war film about Viet Nam I've seen, this was uplifting and positive.  I remember that John Wayne made The Green Berets (1968) partly to counter the leftist message of failure and doom that was by then pervasive in the media.  This, 34 years later, is the second attempt.

The book was adapted into the movie We Were Soldiers, directed by Randall Wallace and starring Mel Gibson as Moore. In the book, Moore complains that "Every damn Hollywood movie got it wrong"; Wallace has said he was inspired by this comment and became "determined to get it right this time." [Wikipedia]

I just tonight watched it a third time.  On Sunday, at my granddaughter's second birthday party, I was talking with my son-in-laws step-dad.  Turns out we're the same age, and had many of the same experiences.  He was turned down by the Army because of a medical problem, but his brother was in Nam.  Fought at, "was it Pork Chop Hill?"  No, I said that was Korea.  I mentioned that I'd just watched a movie about IA Trang Valley and he jumped, "That's it."  He was in that first battle (it went on for 300 days). His brother said the movie was pretty damned accurate.

The Vietnamese government did not greet the film with approval. In fact, Don Duong the Vietnamese actor, who played the Vietnamese commander Lt. Col. Nguyen Huu An, was officially condemned as a traitor, subjected to interrogations to force him to sign a "confession" to "crimes" he had supposedly committed. Duong refused to give in. After months of negotiations between the Bush White House and Hanoi, Duong and his family were allowed to immigrate to the United States in 2003.[Ibid]

Anyway, when I began watching tonight, I was very wound up over all the same things that you are upset  over.   When it ended,  I was again filled with a certain calm. I don't know why.  I may have to watch it every day from now on. 


25 comments:

Webrider said...

Watched it when it first became available on TV, (don't remember the channel), and felt very similarly to what you do. I think it just fits our understanding of what America and its military aspire to, despite the occasional dirtbags that mess it up. One of my top ten "war films", if not the numero uno.

Cuzzin Rick said...

Attended a wedding a couple of decades ago. The father of the bride was dressed in Air Force dress whites (or whatever they call it). A retired LTC who, as enlisted Army, was at Ia Drang.

In his toast to the bride and groom, (the bride was adopted right after birth, and was of Chinese decent), he said that he remembered crying only twice in his adult life: the most recent at his beloved daughter's wedding, and the other was at Ia Drang.

Heavy shit, I would say.

Cuzzin Rick

Cuzzin Rick said...

I have another buddy... retired 04 who was a slick pilot. He was there in the late 60's, but recalls CIA types at one point, looking for pilots to fly their team down to Ia Drang to test some new weaponry.

No takers. The place was infested with bad guys.

Cuzzin Rick

Arch said...

Although he doesn't appear in the movie, the soldier on the cover of the book is Rick Rescorla.

Anonymous said...

http://townhall.com/columnists/humbertofontova/2011/02/15/eric_holder_partners_with_fidel_castro_again/page/full/

Sparrowhawk Of Gont

This will make you mad.

Anonymous said...

Read the book, saw the movie. Fine book, and movie was mostly true to the book. They mixed up a few names and incidents, but got it mostly right. Moore's Sgt Maj. Basil Plumley was a helluva man. He made 5 combat jumps in WW2, picked up his second and third star on his CIB in Korea and Vietnam. I'm happy to say he is still with us today.
2nd/7th Cav came in to continue the fight at Ia Drang and while moving to LZ Albany were ambushed and massacred.
Neighbor of mine was in that Bn, was wounded in the ambush along with every man in his squad. He told of hearing GI's beg for their lives as NVA searched out the wounded and killed them one by one during the night. He kept his squad silently on the move throughout the night, and they all survived. He received a Bronze Star for that. Heavy shit indeed.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

James Hooker said...

Rodger
Go over and read Greyhawks Mudville post on Rick Rescorla http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/000307.html

He was at The La Drang. The post is a longish one, but well worth the read.

He was still fighting on September 11, 2001 in the south tower of the WTC. He saved the lives of over 2600 people that day.

It is a photo of him, at La Drang, on the cover of Hal Moores book.

He made it to my video ¨The Pledge¨
http://www.vimeo.com/8225257

I´m almost 63 now. I didn´t go - hell, I didn´t even serve. These men did. I am forever humbled when I meet one.

Thanks
James Hooker

pdwalker said...

With a recommendation like that, it's now a "Must See"(tm)

Thanks Boss!

Anonymous said...

Not to change the subject but the problem with Wikipedia is any moron with a e-mail account can change it. (to many historical revisionists there) And it may be shocking but I liked the movie too. My Father is a veteran of that war.

SherryM

DougM said...

One of the best war movies I've ever seen.
I can't watch it again.

Anonymous said...

The late Jack Smith, son of Howard K. Smith, was a high-school classmate of mine. In fact his father gave the commencement address when we graduated in 1963. On Thanksgiving Day, 1965, Dad and I were watching some football, and Mom was finishing up the cooking for our small nuclear family. Mom called Dad in to carve the turkey and a few minutes later called me. Then she called again. I was transfixed on the television since Howard K. Smith had come on and described his visit to Jack in the hospital in Japan. This was one of the prime reasons why, when my draft number came up in 1968, I didn't try to weasel out of it, but went down to the recruiter's office and signed up for OCS.

Couldn't bear to read the book or watch the movie; it hit too close to home.

JLW III

Rodger the Real King of France said...

SherryM - that's true of everything today, even this Blog. I think certain things fall under the "how to boil an egg" rubric of using common sense if it says "boil for 30 seconds." But even if you don't, the only damage is a runny egg. Same with movie plots.

BlogDog said...

Joe Galloway was a senior editor at USNews&WR when the book came out and the magazine did a special edition featuring the book and story. I had the great honor to meet Gen. Moore who was a gentleman through and through. A devout man and kind to us all who were doing the work to get the magazine out.
I'm honored that one of the autographed books I own is a copy of "We Were Soldiers..."

One thing I was impressed with in the movie was the demonstration of then Col. Moore's dedication: first foot to touch ground and the last foot to leave ground at the LZ.

Stephen Anthony said...

Same age as James Hooker here...same situation, I did not serve.

And I stand in awe, humbled by those who did, and did so with pride and determination and the haunted brotherhood unlike any other.

Sam Elliot's portrayal of Sgt. Maj. Plumley was stunning. Gibson too, did a bang up job.

Got more than a couple classmates names etched into that long black wall.

God bless um'all.

Anonymous said...

Rick Rescorla was a true combat hero several times over.

LZ Xray was a win LZ Albany was a disaster.
RAK

Anonymous said...

Believe it or Not! I recently found an excellent 'Nam movie via Netflix. Titled the "Siege of Firebase Gloria" with R. Lee Ermey. You will not be disappointed. Mostly 5 & 4 star reviews on Amazon.

MarcM

Anonymous said...

Ed Freeman, the chopper pilot who kept coming in the LZ again, and again, under withering fire to re-supply and remove the wounded...recieved the Medal of Honor.

Sadly, he has passed on.

If you have ever read the book, you would never forget it.

Daniel

Anonymous said...

Brush with history moment... I stumbled into the production at Fort Hunter-Ligget the Summer they were filming. Had a beer with Sam Elliot in the bar at what had once been Hearst's hunting lodge.

Casca

Anonymous said...

33 months, 10 days "in country" as an AF medic. Movies like "We were soldiers" and "Saving Private Ryan" are realistic reminders of what being in a serious fire-fight was like. They brought back the ghosts.

G-d bless those we lost; G-d have mercy on those of us who made it home.

Jess said...

Robert Mason's book "Chickenhawk" is a good read about his experiences of flying slicks in the Ia Drang Valley. I recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Please rad "All the Heros Are Dead"

http://www.rickrescorla.com/All%20The%20Heros%20Are%20Dead.htm

Rescorla became a citizen so he could join the US Armed Forces and fight in Viet Nam for the good guys. My 14 yr old son just wrote a paper on Rescorla's life for his honors English class - the teacher asked a question: Are there any real hero's today? My boy knocked it out of the park.

Mark / NJ BANG

Anonymous said...

In addition to James Hooker's excellent video, here's a "Lament for Blue 4."

MarcM

Anonymous said...

Hey! Mark / NJ BANG

Thank You! ever so much for the link .

Congrats! to your son

Daniel

Chadd said...

LTG Moore and CSM Plumley came and spoke to my class at the Infantry Officers Basic Course at Ft Benning many years ago. LTG Moore brought his slides of pictures he'd taken during the battle. Ernie Savage from the lost platoon also worked there in Bldg 4 at the Infantry School writing field manuals for the doctrine section. Columbus, GA has more than it's share of living legends. I feel honored to have been in the same room with those men. CSM Plumley scared the sh*t out of bunch of green lieutenants that day.

Unknown said...

Colonel Moores after action report is online. I remember reading it some time ago. Informative,even inspiring. The Colonel was truly the right man at the right time. God only knows what would have happened if someone else had command.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.