Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wilders: my message to Muslims


Wilders: my message to Muslims
The best thing you'll read today


Just A Head
  While we were in Sharm el-Sheikh, President Mubarak happened to visit the place.

I remember the fear which suddenly engulfed the town when it was announced that Mubarak was coming on an unexpected visit; I can still see the cavalcade of black cars on the day of his visit and feel the almost physical awareness of fear, like a cold chill on that very hot day in Summer.

It was a weird experience; Mubarak is not considered the worst of the Islamic tyrants and yet, the fear of the ordinary Egyptians for their leader could be felt even by me. I wonder how Saudis feel when their King is in town, how Libyans feel when Gaddafi announces his coming, how Iraqis must have felt when Saddam Hussein was near. A few years later, I read in the Koran how the 7th century Arabs felt in the presence of Muhammad, who, as several verses describe, “cast terror into their hearts” (suras 8:12, 8:60, 33:26, 59:12). [Extra credit if you're Moslem]
Via Anonamoose:   "Geert Wilders is a good spokesman. I can see why so many want him dead or at least shut up." Geert recalls: "I first visited an Islamic country in 1982. I was 18 years old and had traveled with a Dutch friend from Eilat in Israel to the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm-el-Sheikh."  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent piece, and a modern classic.

Casca

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rog for the correct spelling-moslem

I have 2 "moslem" friends that have always snickered at the way they've connived English writers to use the form, "muslim"
MM

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.