Friday, March 11, 2011

Pasta Noodles, etc.

Stuff That Works
Boned JelloBoned Jello
Of all the Woot stuff I've bought, some of it I use.  One that I'm delighted with is the Cuisinart Bread Maker.  It's the only bread maker I've owned, so all of them may be as good or better, but there you have it.   One of the things that happened however, was that the vibration from the kneading action caused the machine to walk off the counter-  Ka-Smash.  I feared the worse, but no.  It started right up again, although the control module (upper right in picture) was hanging by wires, and the cover was half-way across the kitchen floor.  I popped the control box back in, and used heat resistant duct tape to hold the lid pieces together.  That was 4-5  months ago, and it's working fine.  But that's not what I wanted to tell you.

Boned Jello
I made a special recipe MoSup found, but instead of using store bought vermicelli, I decided to make my own.  I used to have a pasta roller that had a cutter attachment, but my daughter wanted it so I gave it to her.  Now, I would never have tried this before, but I discovered that the Cuisinart's Basic Pasta Recipe makes such pliable, easy to work with dough, that I don't even need any flour when rolling it out.  I rolled some out on the counter and then cut strips with a kitchen knife. The strips were irregular as all hell, but that became part of the charm.  I forgot how good fresh pasta tastes, not to mention the fast cooking time.  Time from thought to noodles- about 30 minutes.

While I'm at it, my most used recipe is the cranberry pumpkin walnut bread; I made a dozen just for Christmas presents.  Takes about 90 minutes from beginning to end .  (The entire recipe book here)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A while back everyone was getting Granny one of those bread makers for Crispness. Granny used it a couple of times (if she could figure it out) and then stuck it in a closet because they take up too much valuable counter top real estate. Eventually Granny went to live with Gramps in heaven and no one in the family wanted the bread maker so it ended up at the Salivation Armory where you can pick one up for a song.
No need to thank me for the tip.
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

You're still allowed to eat bread?
Dern smart aleck younguns!
mary

Rodger the Real King of France said...

What's with women and counter space? They always want more, but hate having anything on it. Ahem.

Anonymous said...

My first Breadman Ultimate did that, those (if you can find one) are the best around.

Solved the problem by putting some of that rubber checkerboard non-skid stuff (also good for belt sanding boards :)under it and my second one has been around for years now.

The first one after hitting the floor was trash :-(.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

yeah, that's what I did anon - no more walking.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.