Monday, April 11, 2011

The African Queen Strikes Back

The African Queen Strikes Back
   "Speaker John Boehner is pleased as punch with himself and his caucus for "dragg[ing] a reluctant Senate and White House into taking this imperfect first step toward getting spending under control," but he's not ready to call it a day just yet. In an op-ed in USA Today, Boehner reminds America that "before serving in Congress, I ran a small business. Created jobs. Met a payroll."

This is why Boehner heartily endorses Rep. Ryan's "Path to Prosperity," which "leads where the administration has failed and takes on autopilot spending that's driving our debt crisis while preserving critical health and retirement security programs for the future."

Boehner goes on to write that "to be credible, the White House plan must preserve and protect programs such as Medicare and Medicaid." Incidentally, Ryan's loudest critics contend that the Path fails to do exactly this.  [Via DC]


But then ...

Obama Puts Taxes on Table

Meanwhile, independent analysts have determined that Ryan's plan would eliminate nearly $3 trillion in tax deductions--"such as the mortgage interest deduction, the deduction for charitable contributions and the exclusion for employer-provided health insurance"--even as it lowers the top personal and corporate tax rates to 25 percent.

That, in my case, would result in a net $2000 tax increase.  While I will not be happy over it, if the cuts include every cent given to every interest group - and I mean PBS, NPR, Abortion Inc; - you name it - then I'll maintain a semi-hardon.

10 comments:

Helly said...

if the cuts …

Stinks to high heaven, just the Bush I tax deal.

Cut first, second, and third. Then we talk about taxes.

toadold said...

Interesting Comment by Boehner, reported in the NRO. "The first fight was over billions, the next will be over Trilions of dollars."

rbrandt said...

In general, the economy would be better off by eliminating deductions and lowering tax rates. The result would be more efficient allocation of capital.

Several concerns are that once the deductions are gone the thieves will just raise rates again - like they did with Regean. Also, the top tax rate for most people is 25 - 28% and for giving up itemized deductions you get to 25%. That just doesn't sound right.

Jess said...

Congressfolks are like alcoholics in a fully stocked bar. They won't stop until they're removed from the bar...preferably covered with tar and feathers...hogtied to a long timber.

toadold said...

Jess:
I take umbrage at you slur on alcoholics.....However the tar and feathers idea sounds good.
I suspect that the Republican leadership is doing the "bar monkey who swallowed the cue ball test." Before they tackle a spending reduction, they shove it up their behind to see if will fit before they swallow it.

Jess said...

Okay. Just place unrepentant in front of alcohol. That will remove the umbrage part and keep me from writing "fat ladies in a donut shop" and having to apologize to fat ladies.

I-RIGHT-I said...

Tar and feathers isn't good enough. Rats/Bag/River

Do away with at least 3 US Government Agencies, take your pick, defund the UN, take a hard look at 501 c 3’s Cut Dept of State by half, cut salaries for everyone in government making more that 100K by 30% then come and talk to me about doing away with middle class tax deductions and rate increases. Other wise blow me.

toadold said...

ohhhhkay:
Do completely away with any restrictions on developing US fossil fuels so we can become energy independent. Start building mini-nuke plants and thorium based reactors, Do away with corporate and death taxes. Meanwhile I'll go long on ammunition.

JMcD said...

"Now, Can I Please Go Squeeze Some Fruits?"

California Dreamin

Stopped in to a ████ I passed along the way.
Well I got down on my knees
(got down on my knees)
And I ████ to ████.
(I ████ to ████).
You know the ████ likes the ████.
(████ likes the ████).
He knows I'm gonna stay.
(knows I'm gonna stay).
California dreamin'
(California dreamin') on such a ████ day.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

10! JMcD

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.