Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In the ramble seat

I'm getting to it here boss ...

Do people who see this clip from It's A Wonderful Life today react like I did upon seeing it for the first time as an adult back in the 80's?  It's where George Baily is seeing what life would be like, had he gone ahead with his planned suicide.  His wife Mary has no idea who he is; the police are called - he punches the cop (Ward Bond),  who promptly draws his .38 Police Special and tries to shoot him as he flees.

Shoot him dead.  For running.

When I saw it on Turner Broadcasting, ca. 1984, I had the same reaction I do today when I hear someone say "Merry Christmas" on Christmas day television.   It's a culture shock. Here's how I believe  Frank Capra's 1946 audience reacted.

1946 audience reaction:
Today's audience reaction:
None, really.  He hit a cop and ran.  Drawing-down on a man who created a disturbance and hit a police officer was expected.
Police Brutality - Quick, call a lawyer. Can't we all get along?
The public attitude about crime and criminals underwent a quick change after the uber Liberal Warren court's Miranda decision in 1966.  We've been on the slippery slope to Liberal Nirvana ever since.  Think; how many times have you heard Liberals cite English jurist William Blackstone's  platitude,"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" since then?   I'm not saying it's a bad ideal; something to strive for (within reason).  It's about who does the preaching, and when..  How many times have you heard the same Liberals say "It's better that 100 people die in gun accidents than we lose our Second Amendment rights?"  Hmmmm?  never 

I'm getting to the point here.  Which is -- Liberals operate in a state of self entitled, disconnected from all reality, delusion. We're talking about, for example ....
  To my Republican friends: take back your party. So that it doesn’t matter so much who wins the election, because we have shared values about the education of our children, the growth of our economy, how we defend our country, our security and civil liberties, how we respect our seniors. Because there are so many things at risk right now -- perhaps in another question I'll go into them, if you want. But the fact is that elections shouldn't matter as much as they do...But when it comes to a place where there doesn't seem to be shared values then that can be problematic for the country, as I think you can see right now.

Mr. Pelosi


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe Perfidious Twat was speaking to the second grade class at Tufts. They start indoctrination early there.
Lt. Col. gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

"It is idle, he rebuked me, to talk about preventing the wreck of Western civilization. It is already a wreck from within. That is why we can hope to do little more now than snatch a fingernail of a saint from the rack or a handful of ashes from the faggots, and bury them secretly in a flowerpot against the day, ages hence, when a few men begin again to dare to believe that there was once something else, that something else is thinkable, and need some evidence of what it was, and the fortifying knowledge that there were those who, at the great nightfall, took loving thought to preserve the tokens of hope and truth." ~Chambers letter to WFB circa 1954

Casca

Firehand said...

That's a POV hadn't thought of. I'd always thought of it as "When you have bad, corrupt cops, that's the kid of thing that happens."

Bryan said...

She lost me at "My Republican Friends". That opening is so disingenuous as to remind me of a come-on from street whores. Then I recognized the author and knew my instincts were still true.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.